Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Allergies to Herbs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Megan Bumps
      Student

I am allergic to the daisy family (I get seasonal allergies when I ingest them), elderberry (hives), and a few other things. I have been careful in introducing these herbs to my kids because I am allergic to them (my nephew is also allergic to elderberry). What age would you introduce herbs to kids when there is an allergy in the family? Just until they can communicate with you? Aren’t they more likely to develop an allergy if you wait too long to introduce it?

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I don’t think age at first introduction will change the likelihood of an allergy. If you’re worried about a family allergy, I guess I’d wait until they’re old enough to tell you what’s going on.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

I don’t think age at first introduction will change the likelihood of an allergy. If you’re worried about a family allergy, I guess I’d wait until they’re old enough to tell you what’s going on.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Heather Smith
            Student

This is something that I was wondering about.  I also have allergies that I get immunotherapy for. There are a couple of medicinal weeds that showed up on the panel, plantain and oats are 2 that I remember off the top of my head.  I was curious about whether that allergy is respiratory or systemic.  I did a google search with mixed results.   Should I steer clear completely?

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

I’d be careful with stuff you’re allergic to. Chances are some other plant does the same job.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top