Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies can herbs cause depression?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by .
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Wanda Breighner
      Student

I started taking rest easy to help me sleep since nothing else I’ve tried has really helped.  This seemed to make a huge difference.  BUT is it possible for it to make me very groggy all morning and feel depressed?  I take many tinctures but this was the newest one and things have gotten bad.  I’m not one to normally struggle with depression.  I don’t typically respond opposite to things.  I don’t take any meds or supplements (I’ve’ done way too much research on them the last two years and won’t use them anymore).  My diet is much better than most but it still has a way to go. For the most part, I try to keep processed foods out of our home and buy as much organic, local, grass fed as money will allow.

Jenny Bright
        Student

Hi Wanda,

It’s possible for sedative herbs to have this kind of effect.

Hops is one that I’ve often heard is contraindicated for those with depression. I find it really effective at relaxing me and achieving a deeper sleep. But if I take it for too many days in a row or at too high a dose, I struggle with grogginess and weepiness. I’ve tried it so many times that I know it’s definitely the hops causing it.

When I first tried medicinal-strength camomile, it used to make me feel groggy. But then I got used to it, and now have it almost every day with no ill effect.

Have you tried adjusting the dosage to take less Rest Easy? Perhaps swap out some for another herb. I’m thinking passionflower, lemon balm, ashwagandha root…

I make my daily tea with between 5–15 different herbs that I buy in bulk or forage. I rotate between different plants with similar relaxing effects. That way, my body doesn’t take offence and have ill effects the next day. I reserve the “stronger” herbs (hops, wild lettuce) for occasional use.

Another thing that seems to help me sleep is to focus on consuming higher levels of magnesium. Seaweed, nettles, other leafy greens.

I also have a more stimulating wake-up tea in the morning. Something like ginger, that gets the circulation moving, or green tea if that agrees with you. And I do some exercise plus a cold shower first thing if possible. That really helps to clear the grogginess for me.

I find that when I least want to take a cold shower (when I’m feeling depressed and emotionally vulnerable) is when I benefit the most from it.

Also, relaxing breathing exercises can have the same kind of effect as a relaxing herb before bed.

Hope this helps; good luck with experimenting. I hope you find something that works for you. I’d be very interested to hear if anyone else has any experience with this issue 😊

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Wanda Breighner
            Student
            Topic Author

Jenny, Thank you for your reply.  I’m not sure why I didn’t see it until now.

I am very new to the herbal world.  Even though I’m really “crunchy” the whole plant thing has always eluded me.  I have a very black thumb! That being said I haven’t grown  or wild harvested anything.  My home supply is a handful of tinctures and two mint teas.  I was never a tea person but a learning with the herbals.

Unfortunately, my personality lends me to start hard and fast to I started with two droppers per day of the rest easy.  Probably a bit much!   I tried it again Sunday night after a weekend away with little to no sleep.  This time I took 10 drops.  I slept well, at least for me.  I was a little unmotivated Monday but Tuesday was worse.  So I’m thinking I should only take it on occasion and perhaps drop back to 5 drops.

I’m not quite ready to buy lots of dried herbs/teas and experiment but I’ll get there!  As far as magnesium goes, I was steeped into the RCP world and have done a complete 180 on supplements.  I like that you suggested plants for the mag and not pills!

I have so many friends that struggle with sleep.  Most of them are in menopause like me and can’t find something that helps consistantly. Some are also like me in that this has been for most of our lives.

Perhaps at some point I’ll do the cold shower but not yet:) Thank you again for taking the time to share so much wonderful info!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Scroll to Top