Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies Chronic Sinus infection/issue

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Diana Braun
      Student

I have chronic sinus trouble all year long for many years.  It’s congested all the time, normally I can breathe only through one side often only halfway, if I am doing well.

This really affects my sleep quality. When I get a cold it gets worse and then painful.

What are the best herbs to try? Or any ideas what else I can try?

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Greg Boggs
        Student

Have you tried Cayenne? A couple weeks ago my wife made me a little concoction of raw minced garlic, raw honey, and cayenne powder. It all helped to open up my sinuses and get me on the path to getting over my cold much quicker

Michael Carico
          Student

Diane,

This is a very worthy topic!  I, too can relate to your inquiry!  I have suffered through MANY years of struggling to breathe through my nose!  Greg offers a very good medicinal option but if you are like me, I am searching, praying and hoping for a long term medicinal herb solution! Thank you for your post!

Angela Rios
            Student

I suffer from nasal congestion and have found relief using the neti pot with the saline solution. I think using a humidifier with the eucalyptus herb would help as well. In addition, I like drinking hot teas to support my immune system, I recently grew roselle hibiscus and dried it for a tea which I understand supports the immune system. I also think having an anti-inflammatory diet and taking anti-inflammatory herbs can help as well such as tumeric, garlic, cinnamon, clove, ginger, etc.

Angelica Root I just learned about may help symptoms of headache, nasal congestion as well.

Disclaimer: I am a student and came here to learn, so double-check with someone more knowledgeable.

Angie

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

is there a mechanical problem as well like a deviated septum or some such? The unilateral nature of it makes me wonder.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                  Marshell Martin
                  Student

I agree, my husband has severe chronic sinusitis, he also has a deviated septum which I think is the cause.

Janey Malander
                  Student

I recently discovered a saline spray with oregano essential oil.  It has provided great relief for me from an ongoing sinus issue.

Stacy Mackey
                      Student

That’s what I was thinking. I had heard several say recently, that sometimes it is a structural problem that can be corrected with surgery.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Stacy Mackey.
                        Debbie Riolo
                        Student

I didn’t know there is an oil of oregano saline spray, thanks for posting this!  We have used the oil in a steam which works well but looks like we’ll need the spray as my husband is struggling with his 2nd sinus infection in one month, unusual to have it twice.  He has a deviated septum so that most likely doesn’t help.

Christine Peli
                        Student

I also suffer from chronic congestion most of the year. I  read about the benefits of Cayenne Pepper and put several drops in my coffee daily (its actually pretty good if you like spicy!).  I also started taking salt sole (filtered water concentrated with salt) every morning for about 1.5 months. My congestion has greatly improved in less than 2 months. I have tried every spray you can imagine and these methods have proved the best solution for me.

Gianina Hooper
                          Student

I had sinus issues and allergies for years and finally discovered that I am allergic to the whey in milk products. Gave up dairy and it all cleared up.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Scroll to Top