Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jenny Meyer
      Student

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Are there any herbs that would return the hair to its natural color?</p>

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Michelle Koch
        Student

You mean herbs that reverse the aging process responsible for loss of hair pigment?  Or are you looking for plants that can be used as hair dye?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

They say Fo Ti does…or at least slows it down. But I haven’t tried it.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Hi Doc, I found some Fo Ti from Starwest and was very excited until i read contaminated with fecal material… any suggestions on where to acquire this wonderful herb without contamination?  I like my silvery grey hair … just want it for other benefits

Jessica Rose
            Student

This may not be an herb, but I hear copper supplementation helps to restore hair color. You need patience though, and consistently taking it everyday for at least 6 months to see results.

Also, blackstrap molasses is a beauty secret passed down, same thing, consistency everyday. At least 6 months to notice changes. I’ve also heard that same thing from people taking black sesame too. There seems to be a pattern with black foods/herbs.

6 users thanked author for this post.
                Tracey Reed
                Student

I love this one.  My dad used to use about a tablespoon of black strap molasses in warm milk.  That was my “chocolate milk” growing up.  I could easily go back to that on a daily basis.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                Michelle Koch
                Student

@Jessica:  that’s very interesting about black herbs.  Do you know if it is intended to work on all hair colors, or only dark hair?

Ginger
                  Student

I have a friend who farmed black currants. He drank the currant juice often (daily). It started getting rid of his gray hair. He wasn’t completely gray to begin with but, it seemed to be working on his 90+ old mother too.

7 users thanked author for this post.
                      Jessica Rose
                      Student

Thank you for this information about black currants. It seems to be a pattern among black herbs in general.

Susan T.
                          Student

The black tea used in homemade Kombucha is said to keep your hair from graying if you drink it daily. I drink it for other health issues and though I still have some gray at age 69, my hair is generally still its natural color. I don’t mind the gray, but just find it interesting that black tea is another black “herb”.

I’m a 57 yo new student. This is exciting. My gray hair doesn’t bother me; I figure if God gave it to me it must be perfect. That said, I wouldn’t mind having more of my natural color back 🙂

interesting subject, thank you for bringing it up.  I’m a new student.  ill be looking in to this more for my self.

Ariana Levine
                        Student

Ayurveda talks about premature graying being caused by excess Pitta dosha- this increases heat and can be caused by stress or nutrition.  They use Bringaraj or coconut oil to cool the heat and lessen grays.  You can also use Amla (Indian gooseberry) as a Rasayana (rejuvenating herb) it makes a great shampoo

3 users thanked author for this post.

I have been using a plant ID app to identify all those weeds in my vegetable garden that I’ve been pulling and putting up with for so long (I find that most of them are good medicinals) and one of them was bhringraj. Right here in Virginia!  Who would have thought.  I’ve read that it is great for growing more hair.
                            <h2></h2>

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

Bhringraj is Eclipta prostrata. I just looked it up and it really does grow in Virginia (and about anywhere else warm wet enough to keep it happy).

http://vaplantatlas.org/index.php?do=plant&plant=2054

It’s nice to have an Ayurvedic herb here in the states. The Indian system uses some wonderful plants. Many of them are hard to grow in temperate climates because they prefer a more tropical niche. But I’ve grown lots of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) over the years as an annual here in Idaho. In India it’s a big, perrenial shrub.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Jodie Apple
                            Student

I saw a video on the Natural Herb Remedy YouTube channel where the late Dr. John Christopher referenced yarrow leaf and flower as a remedy for gray hair.

Cheryl Acuna
                              Student

I would never have thought there would be one herbal solution let alone all these possibilities to halt hair from graying.  I find this so amazing.  Thanks for all this info.  Any idea on how much is to be taken each day for any of these options?

Donna LaBelle
                                Student

Found this on a site:

One of the earliest uses of PABA supplements was to help with the repigmentation of prematurely gray hair. It’s still used for this purpose today, and many personal testimonies suggest it’s effective despite a lack of research.

Studies in the 1940s and ’50s found that taking PABA at daily doses ranging from 200 mg to 24 grams led to hair darkening and helped gray hair return to its original color.

Kris Naillon
                                  Student

A few years ago, I heard that a strong sage tea used daily will turn hair back to the original color. I have used it a few times but I think a person would have to use it every day to have a lasting benefit.  I have brown hair and am getting some grey. I do not mind the grey. When I have used the sage tea, it does seem to cut down on the grey. It also seems to be a good hair conditioner.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Scroll to Top