Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Headache Remedy for 10 year old

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Kiehl
      Student

I was looking at the Brain and Nerve Headache formula and was wondering if the herbs would be safe for a 10-year-old for use when she has moderate to severe headaches.  We have a family history (one person, a first cousin) who passed away from Reye Syndrom.  Of course, this was over 40 years ago when baby aspirin actually contained aspirin.  I have all of the herbs in individual tinctures on my shelf ready for mixing, but even if I remove the Willow Bark, would the formula be safe or would you suggest a different formulation?

Dawn
        Student

Hi Michelle, I looked up the formula and its specified herbs and, leaving out the Willow bark, there are no contraindications for kids over the age of 3. (The Valerian had one source recommend against use in children under 3 due to the sedating effects.) I would recommend to error on the side of caution by using the formula without the Willow bark. The other 3 herbs all have reports of effective use on headaches and migraines.

Doc Jones replied to my question regarding the ever changing ages for safe use of aspirin in kids by saying that the CDC is now recommending that you use No Aspirin with little kids and don’t use in Teens with viral infections/symptoms. As 10 yrs is somewhere in between, I would error on caution and make the herbal preparation for that child, no aspirin like herbs.   I hope this was helpful … you might find Doc’s reply in a search for Reye Syndrome, or other terms.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

I wouldn’t worry about any of the other herbs in that formula for a ten year old.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

The other thing I’d do is have the little rascal keep a food journal for a month tracking everything they eats to see if there is any correlation between what they’re eating and the headaches.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top