Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Marshmallow- Assisting with Chronic Inflammation

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kirsten Brack
      Student

Marshmallow root and leaf is my new friend! In reading about both its alterative and demulcent traits I decided to give it a try for my chronic GI inflammation and gastric ulcers.  It has helped significantly ease the discomfort.  I can well imagine that ,given time, it will also help to heal.

Jenni

Hi Kirsten! I’m so glad you are making friends with marshmallow! Have you seen our module on the Upper Digestive system?

Slides 57-59 might be interesting for you. You can make friends with cayenne and meadowsweet too. 🙂

5 users thanked author for this post.
            Dawn
            Student

I agree, Meadowsweet is awesome for tummies 🙂   I call it my heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea medicine that works on headaches 🙂  It’s like the only thing needed in my purse to replace my old tin of anti-acids, ibuprofen, tylenol, pepto tablets, yay! 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.
                Elizabeth
                Student

How do you consume it when you use it for the list you did above? Tea, tincture, etc.?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Kirsten Brack
                Student
                Topic Author

Thank you for this information.  I’ll be looking into meadowsweet.  Cayenne and really any hot peppers are favorites in our household.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

If I could only have one herb for about anything going on in the digestive system, it’d probably be marshmallow. Glad you’re feeling better.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

5 users thanked author for this post.
                    Dolores Knight
                    Student

Marshmallow seeds sown this morning. Fingers crossed. Thank you, Doc

Haydn Ward
                    Student

I too have been falling in love with my Marshmallow plant because it is helping me with Chronic stomach flares. I have been using the leaves but just read today that you should not make a hot tea with the leaves because the heat destroys the mucopolysaccharides. Is this true? If yes then what is the best way to ingest Marshmallow leaves?

3 users thanked author for this post.
                        Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

First of all, I like the root better. It has more mucilage than the leaf.  A cold infusion is easier on the mucilage than hot. But as long as you aren’t boiling your tea after the herbs are in, it’s not a deal breaker. You can also just powder the herb and throw it in a smoothie.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

4 users thanked author for this post.
                            Lisa Giles
                            Student

I am brand new to the class and I heard you speak Saturday at the conference…I have common mallow growing in my yard and garden according to my plant ID app but I think I heard you say that mallow and marshmallow were possibly interchangeable… is that correct?  Thank you for sooooo much info at the conference.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                Homestead Instructor

Yup. Basically the same critter medicinally.

Marshmallow (Althea officinalis)

Mallow (Malva neglecta)

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Scroll to Top