Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Veterinary Herbology New Canine Respiratory Illness

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Debbie Eskew
      Student

I just heard that the new mysterious canine respiratory illness that showed its head (I believe around August) is now quickly spreading in the U.S.  My understanding (which could be wrong on some details) is: The illness starts with a cough, & the usual respiratory illness symptoms (such as with kennel cough). Dogs treated with traditional antibiotics and other respiratory illness traditional medications have not responded very well. The illness can quickly turn into a type of pneumonia and many have passed away from this illness. DNA of the illness is still being investigated. and they are not sure if it is a bacterial, viral, or fungal in nature.

Any information or corrections of my comments above is very welcome. Herbal protocols helpful too (anti-everything herbs??, kidding). Just want to be prepared. My elderly dog has not been vaccinated for many years now, due to severe allergy issues. Since we don’t know what type of illness this is, a titer testing would not do him any good – right – or wrong?  Thoughts are welcome. Well wishes to your fur babies.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Sydney Alix
        Student

I’ve been hearing about that respiratory illness as well. I’d love to hear Doc’s thoughts on it.

Theresa Gwiazda
            Student

Hey All! I have also just heard of this illness. I also watched a vet who tries to do natural herbs explain what he would do to prevent. The main prevention protocol he used was a cup of green tea, slippery elm powder (2 capsules) and a teaspoon of elderberry syrup for his dog. Mind you, this is a preventative protocol. I would like to know if Doc Jones agrees and if he would add anything else? I was thinking if dogs could take ground pine needles (powder) that might be a good viral preventative, or olive leaf. This is very scary. Thoughts, Doc?

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Theresa Gwiazda.
              1 user thanked author for this post.
            Joelle
            Student

What is this illness called? I haven’t heard a thing about it. And do they know how it is spread?

Herb Thyme
              Student

Hi classmates,

I am brand new to school and wanted to reply.  We are giving our dog, Doc Jones human “histamine powder” and “immunity powder” for his fall allergies.  And hoping these will also help with the topic mentioned as a preventative.  Also a quarter clove of garlic fermented in raw honey, and 1/8 tsp of elderberry syrup.  He really likes the honey right from the spoon.  Using a small amount of mullein and thyme tea for food hydration.  Hope this helps.

Diana
                Student

Would this be a cytokine storm?  I’ve heard it goes from kennel cough to pneumonia quickly.

If regular antibiotics aren’t working does that mean it’s viral or could it mean the sickness needs different antibiotics?

I travel a lot and don’t want to take my girl to the kennel until something is figured out even if it does seem worse in the little dogs than bigger dogs.  My girl and my cat were both sick about 2 weeks ago but it was a really bad stomach problem not coughing… Probably ate too much turkey poop.

Lisabeth Severin
                  Student

I’m guessing you all have read Doc Jones’s new blog post on the canine illness. I checked out the powders he mentioned in his post AND the Livestock Farmacy Kit and they are ALL on backorder.

I’m wondering if everyone is freaking out and ordering the helpful items and that’s why they are (I’m guessing) sold out? Or if its just normal for the good doctor to be sold out of these types of herbal formulas this time of year (cold and flu season) AND he just had the big Thanksgiving sale?

Does “on back order” mean “sold out” and the Homegrown Herbalist staff is pulling in alternate sources OR are they just swamped with orders for these things?

Michelle Koch
                      Student

Sometimes it means that the HGH crew has recently harvested plant matter hanging out on the drying racks, waiting to be processed and turned into medicines.

Herb Thyme
                      Student

Has anyone heard any updates on the dog virus?  Our dog likes to go to dog camp once in awhile to see his buddies, but haven’t wanted to take him.  Still giving him one of Docs powders, fermented honey garlic, and elderberry syrup to keep immunity up.

Kasia Lewis
                        Student

Doc posted on his blog on TheHomeGrownHerbalist website about this very thing. He gives details about what protocols to take with your dogs and what the virus is.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                          Homestead Instructor

Hi Guys,

I did a lesson on this a little while ago in the Veterinary Herbalism section:

Scary New Mystery Dog Disease | What You Need to Know

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Scroll to Top