Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Pine Needle tincture

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Theresa Gwiazda
      Student

Hey Doc,

I heard a lot of good benefits of pine needle tincture through the course but mostly as a single herb. Is there any reason that you wouldn’t combine pine needle with other herbs?

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Pine needle is happy to be friends with other herbs in s a formula.

You can mix and match herbs in a formula as you wish. The only thing you need to avoid is using herbs that have opposite effects because they’ll cancel each other out. But no one is likely to do that when designing a formula anyway. It’d be pretty strange for someone to want a formula that raises and lowers blood pressure for example.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Theresa Gwiazda
          Student
          Topic Author

Thank you! I have been using elderberry extract for a while and now have added pine needle tincture here and there if I feel I am coming down with something, esp. Corona. So far I am sure I’ve been exposed but haven’t gotten sick since I started the pine. Also, just to check, elderberry has to be heated, correct? I mean you can’t tincture the berry, is my thinking correct on that?

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

It is a really good idea to only use ripe berries and to heat them if you’re using them for food or syrups.

Dried elderberries can be tinctured without heating them.

When tincturing, we only use dry berries. The drying decreases the cyanogenic glycosides somewhat. The other reason we don’t care about the bellyache issues from the dry berry when in a tincture is that a tincture dose is small enough that it’s not an issue.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
                  Student

Hi Doc Jones – tincturing several things today and didn’t think to ask in advance what strength alcohol for dried elder berries.  Also, should I soak them for a few days to soften them up a bit, then toss into the vitamix to “powder” them (soggy powder, perhaps better to call it a “slurry” at that point)?

Same question regarding ashwagandha root since it’s so hard…  Thanks much Doc!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Sydnia Ginger Anady
                    Student

can elderberries be tinctured fresh? i tinctured fresh and also made some dry…should i get rid of the fresh? i also put some in apple cider vinegar- fantastic on salads

Sydnia Ginger Anady
                      Student

Hi Doc Jones, I have a couple quarts of elderberry tincture made from fresh ripe berries- should I toss them?

Lora Dietmeyer
                    Student

I have a long needle pine in the back yard and made a tincture with it and sage.  Now I am afraid that I can’t use it because I don’t know what kind of pine tree it is, any thoughts?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

If it’s truly a pine in the genus Pinus, it’ll likely be fine. Have a loook at the Pine lessons for some pictures.

Pine (Pinus spp.)

3 users thanked author for this post.
                        Lora Dietmeyer
                        Student

Thank you for this discussion.

Lora Dietmeyer
                          Student

I am sorry, but I seem to be stuck on this page and it will not let me exit.

Lora Dietmeyer
                            Student

Bug

Herb Thyme
                              Student

Hello, recently made a pine pollen tincture.  Put way too much dried powder.  Used half powder in a jar and then filled with vodka.  It swelled up and was way to much.  Strained it and add more vodka to do a second round.  Has this ever hapenned to anyone?

Lisa Bateman
                                  Student

LOTS! 😆 I think it’s a pretty common occurrence… at least in the beginning!

Lisa Bateman

Dan Flowers
                                  Student

I applied some pinus strobus tincture to my wife’s sore neck the other day.  First time for her.  She was immediately high as a kite for 10 min.  Could not even walk the poor girl.  I guess if I ever need to amputate I’ll know what to give her for pain 😉

Jean
                                      Student

I would like Doctor P. Jones to read this one.  Last I knew, he didnt have anything like that (in case he needed to operate on someone during the zombie Apocalypse)

Susan Richardson
                                        Student

That’s so weird.  Does anyone know why this would happen?

Jean
                                            Student

All I have is Pinnus resinosa to try (on my neck) I’m still grounded.  🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                            Homestead Instructor

I applied some pinus strobus tincture to my wife’s sore neck the other day.  First time for her.  She was immediately high as a kite for 10 min.  Could not even walk the poor girl.  I guess if I ever need to amputate I’ll know what to give her for pain 😉

That’s very bizarre. There really isn’t anything intoxicating in any of the Pinus species. So, there are a couple of possibilities.

1. Your wife is having a personal reaction to the tincture. This can happen with any herb. Every body is different and once in a while (though not commonly) someone’s body will have a very odd response to a plant.
                                              2. The tincture was something other than Pine needle or had other contaminants to which she reacted.

Jean
                                            Student

So, pinus resinosa is red pine and pinus strobus is white pine.  It seems to me it would be an isolated reaction.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          Scroll to Top