Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Plantain Questions

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

I am growing the giant Turkish (though it’s not very giant yet) and it has lots of the flower “spires” (no flowers just yet though).  Is there a nutritional or medicinal use for these parts?  Should I try and dry them and powder them for putting in my food – or is it more of a tincture thing?

Also, I’ve read: “All plantain varieties are high in protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, boron, calcium, iron, molybdenum, potassium and sulphur. The narrow-leaf plantain is more concentrated so best to use just one or two leaves in your smoothies. Leaves of the broad-leaved and buck’s horn plantains are less concentrated and can be used finely chopped up in salads, cultured with vegetables as well as in your smoothies.”  So my question is how best to use the vitamins and minerals?  It’s my understanding (limited though that is) that vitamins and minerals don’t extract with alcohol.  Please correct any mistakes here and give me some guidance!?  Thanks.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Olivia Timmerman
        Student

Thanks for your post and I am looking forward to seeing what information you get on this as I am interested as well.

Olivia Timmerman

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Janet_Doug Cannon
            Student

Thank you for posting this, interesting questions about vitamins VS alcohol extraction.

Anyone have an idea ?

Cheers,

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

I’ve never used the seed stocks for anything but raising seed. The leaf is the main medicine and food. Eat it however you like. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
                Student
                Topic Author

Thanks Doc, but I guess my question would better be asked as IF any of the vitamins and minerals would extract out in a tincture – or if they are only available as fresh or dried “edibles”.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

VItamin C and the B vitamins don’t survive alcohol extraction very well.

Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium potassium and sodium don’t extract well either.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sydnia Ginger Anady
                    Student

do those nutrients survive drying or dehumidifying?  is there any value in tincturing plantain?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

The minerals do. The vitamin C does to an extent.

Gammi67
                      Student

Is there medicinal value in dried Plantain? Or should it always be used fresh?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                          Homestead Instructor

Yes. I use dry plantain all the time. Fresh is a little pbetter and the dry stuff doesn’t last as long as most dry herbs.

Here’s the monograph:

Plantain (Plantago major, Plantago lanceolata)

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Scroll to Top