Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Reusing vodka (alcohol)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Renee Peterson
      Student

I am a new student and this is my first post so forgive me if this has been breached before. I have made tinctures for a couple of years now. Mostly just for flavoring- almond, cherry, vanilla, etc. Is it possible to use those “flavorings” as medicinal tinctures by adding the herbs I want to the already flavored vodka mixture and letting it age properly again? I used good-quality vodka.

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Melinda Schwab
        Student

Following…. Interesting topic.

Paige
          Student

Good question and welcome.

PMR

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Nothing wrong with a vanilla-flavored tincture I guess. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
              Student

And of course her question stimulated yet more from me – the source of never ending questions!

• What about “re-tincturing” a tincture that you just don’t see a use in that you made a while back when a super rookie (you know, the “I’ll tincture that – it might come in handy someday” syndrome) that I think we all went thru…  I guess there could be some herbs that don’t play nice with other herbs?  Say something like Soloman’s seal root, or a “non berry making” barberry leaf tincture as an example?
                • OR, what if  you had two things that you’d like to take together regularly like marshmallow and mullein for example, could you use the tincture from the first one to tincture the second one (because you tinctured the first as a simple, not as a blend).
                • OR, is it better to combine 2 or more simples together, and if so, does the blending after tincturing change any properties or dynamics of the herbs?
                • Good ideas or flawed ones?  I love your patience with me and my questions!  🙂
                  Renee Peterson
                  Student
                  Topic Author

Some very good questions in my book. I am indeed interested to know what others have done and the efficacy of this. I definitely want my efforts at herbalism to be effective so I don’t trust myself yet to know how mixing and mingling might affect the original formula. That is one of the reasons I really wanted to take this course. Having access to the student forum is so awesome because it gives us all access to pick one another’s brain.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                    Homestead Instructor

Mine in Italics

What about “re-tincturing” a tincture that you just don’t see a use in that you made a while back when a super rookie (you know, the “I’ll tincture that – it might come in handy someday” syndrome) that I think we all went thru…  I guess there could be some herbs that don’t play nice with other herbs?  Say something like Soloman’s seal root, or a “non berry making” barberry leaf tincture as an example?

An existing tincture could be a good solvent for a new tincture. There are some herbs that don’t play well together after having been tinctured. Have a look at the Tincture lesson in the Making Herbal Medicines section for more discussion on that.

OR, what if  you had two things that you’d like to take together regularly like marshmallow and mullein for example, could you use the tincture from the first one to tincture the second one (because you tinctured the first as a simple, not as a blend).

Yup. See above.

OR, is it better to combine 2 or more simples together, and if so, does the blending after tincturing change any properties or dynamics of the herbs?

See above some more. :0)

Good ideas or flawed ones?  I love your patience with me and my questions!  ?

Could be a good idea or a flawed one depending on the herbs. The safest thing is to start from scratch. But, as long as you aren’t mixing tannin-rich kids with alkaloid-rich kids, you shouldn’t have a problem. See above the above which is above. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

4 users thanked author for this post.
                        Sharon
                        Student

“See above the above which is above.”  But to go above and beyond funny Doc – I have watched that video twice now, and if there is something there where you talk about what herbs do not play nice with each other, my brain must have taken a snack break or something at that point – just cannot find that info…

<i>I did see someone combining Teasel and Solomon’s seal – what does the addition of the SS add to the Teasel?  I have some SS, but didn’t know what to use it for.  I sure hope you get some more teasel Tincture or powder back in stock soon!  Got a shoulder that might benefit from some Teasel!</i>

Dr. Patrick Jones
                            Homestead Instructor

Solomon’s seal is good for inflammation, arthritis etc… among other things.

Retha Williams
                        Student

What a great question!

Sharon
                          Student

Would you use Solomon’s Seal with Teasel as a 1:1?  Also would it be another that would be good for both, topical and internal?  Thanks!

Sharon
                              Student

I mean to also ask what the “other things” are that SS is good for?  I didn’t find that plant in the course materials anywhere, and the internet is a terrible place to search for “good information” when you don’t know what sites to trust!  Thanks 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                Homestead Instructor

I’ve never mixed those two tinctures so I’d do just a little bit to make sure they play nice.

Tinctures with high alkaloids when mixed with tinctures with high tannins sometimes have a chemical reaction that makes them pretty useless. They get cloudy when they’re doing this…that’s the sign.

As to the ratio, if you want equal parts do 1:1.

A simple and more flexible method would be to just use the individual tinctures separately. Spray one on, what a few minutes for it to dry up and then spray on the other. I do this all the time with my wife. She works too hard (Idaho0 farm girl) and her feet get really sore. Pine needle and hops work beautifully together on her feet but I spray them on separately as mentioned.

Charlotte Chumlea
                                    Student

Regarding mixing herbs in tinctures: I love your powdered remedies with mixes of herbs. Could we make tinctures of the HGH powdered remedies, or must we make tinctures of each herb in the remedy separately?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                        Homestead Instructor

Yup. You can tincture any of our powdered formulas or single herbs.

If you want to make your own tincture formula, mix all the powdered herbs together and then tincture that blend.

Some tinctures will not mix once made but if you blend the powders and tincture them together, they play nice with each other.

This lesson talks about some herb tinctures that shouldn’t be mixed once they’re made.

https://homesteadacademy.com/course/homegrown-herbalist/lessons/principles-of-herbal-therapy/

Starting on slide 22 or 23.

Sharon
                                    Student

I have watched the above referenced video twice now, and if there is something there where you talk about what herbs do not play nice with each other, my brain must have taken a snack break or something at that point – just cannot find that info….

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                        Homestead Instructor

Mixing tinctures:  Principles of Herbal Therapy slides 23-34 General Herbalism section

Sharon
                                            Student

Well Doc, you veered me in the right direction again!  I had not gotten to the video, so I totally was on the wrong video – not where I should have been.  Great info as always!

Sharon
                                          Student

Just bumping this so Doc can see the last couple of posts here.  🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                            Homestead Instructor

Have a look at the Joint Support Formula Sharon. It’s good for achey folks. The recipe is in the Musculoskeletal Formulas lesson in the Formulas section.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          Scroll to Top