Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Sediment/particulate in tinctures

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

I know that it is impossible to get out all the sediment/particulate (not sure of the right word), so I am assuming that any and all powdered tinctures we make would be ok to ingest little bits of the powder in the tincture bottles (shaking well before dosing of course).  I guess a better way to ask might be – are there herbs that would NOT be ok to ingest the sediment?  I want to think that if it’s safe enough to make an internal use tincture, then it’s safe enough to consume some of the “fall out”.

Another question please.  Hubby and I have found that we really don’t like the astringent nature of the alcohol for our tongues – I’m thinking some glycerine in the tinctures would improve both the “feel” and the taste.  Your thoughts?  Same question basically for an acetum – the biggest problem I have is that I am what is apparently called a “super taster” and a huge amount of things just taste nasty to me that wouldn’t to other people.  Your help is GREATLY welcomed on how best to work around the “feel” and taste issues for both types of extraction.  If a glycerine should be added to the macerating process – is there a ratio that I should use to maintain a good strong extract/tincture in spite of the glycerine?  Thanks again so much – I LOVE, LOVE your teaching Doc, and this group!

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Unless you use a coffee filter (which I never do), you’re going to get a little sediment. It’s perfectly safe.

I never use tinctures straight in my mouth….blecch! I always put them in some water or juice. Apple juice is particularly good for hiding the booze burn.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks Doc.  I do put them in juice (haven’t tried apple, but orange or pineapple don’t help a great deal – and they still sting under the tongue when trying to hold there).  But how much glycerine would be helpful with an ACV acetum?  Like how much glycerine (or honey – not sure which would be best) would I want for say 16 ounces of ACV?  Both do extract things on their own, yes?

Sharon
                Student
                Topic Author

Hoping Doc Jones has a chance to help me out with the question in the last comment of mine.  I would like to be able to “modify” my maceration soon.  Thanks 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Glycerine and vinegars have some solvent/extraction capability but it’s nothing like ethanol. They also aren’t nearly as preservative. I just never use either. My advice would be to dilute your tincture with something as you take the dose. Cutting its strength with glycerine or vinegar after it’s made just vastly decreases the shelf life and isn’t worth it IMO.

Here’s an idea though that may help with the flavor and astringency issues. I forgot about it when I was responding earlier.

When Luci (a naturopath, my daughter and our general manager) gives tincture to her little kids, she put them in Barlean’s Omega-3. It’s really tasty and magically covers up the nasty alcohol. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top