Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I found a you tube video about 7 medicinal herbs from Doc Jones.  It was very interesting, especially about the herb teasel.  I’m new to this plant and it seems like many of us are.  Thanks for sharing the “impressions” you are receiving as you continually learn.  We found teasel growing abundantly in northern Utah, (nothing in  southern Utah).  It is a biannual, and we are assuming that the roots we want for tincture are from the 2nd year plant when it sends up the seed head.  Can first year roots be used?  They are soft and very different from the 2nd year roots.

2 users thanked author for this post.

I also have that same question in regards to teasel.   I planted seeds in late summer and I’m sure we’ll have a frost here in Ohio very soon.  The plants are babies right now.  Will I be able to harveest the roots in the spring?

I’m a new student and I have a gazillion questions that I am so excited to have answered.  Looking forward to being a sponge and soaking in all the information from the course and forum.

Sandra Powell
      Student

We have teasel here in northern New Mexico, but it only grows along rivers or lakes. If you’re in southern Utah, maybe you could find some in a “swampy” area.

Paige
        Student

It is my understanding that with bi-annual that you harvest them the end of the first year before a sever harvest or early before they start blooming in the spring.

Just saw we have Teasel here in the Shenandoah Valley,  very excited to harvest some that is not near the road.

Paige M. Roberts

Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

For biennial roots, the fall of the first year or the spring of the second year is best. Once they bolt up to flower the roots are pretty pooped out medicinally.

There’s a video in the Individual Plants section on Teasel too.

I think we’re out of the powder. I need to go dig some more. But we have the tincture: Teasel Root Tincture

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

I remember seeing teasel as a kid in upstate NY. I live in the UP of Michigan now, and I haven’t seen any around here. I guess I need to order some seeds and get some started.

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

There’s a more specific video on teasel in the Individual Plants section too.

https://homesteadacademy.com/course/homegrown-herbalist/lessons/teasel-dipsacus-spp/

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Patti Kemner
              Student

I found teasel seeds at outsidepride.com. They would also ship hops seeds to me in Idaho where other places wouldn’t.

Viewing 7 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top