Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      John Thorogood
      Student

My dogs have reacted badly to  veterinary prescribed tick/flea treatments (depending on which brand – loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting). We use combs and massage to detect ticks, fleas. Is there anything herbal or EO that I should be looking at?

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Michelle Koch
        Student

Yes!  On You Tube, Doc posted his webinar on Herbal Pet Care, with a Q & A.  This very topic was brought up, and Patrick said Dawn dish soap is the best flea bath there is!  Can you believe it?  Dawn dish soap.  How much money have people wasted on expensive flea treatments.

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Yup, Dawn dish soap is the best thing in the world for getting fleas off a dog. And they’re squeaky clean when you’re done instead of being covered with some greasy, toxic chemical. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Tammy Bolieau
                Student

Is there a a good flea repellant I can make at home for dogs and cats.  ( and 2 new puppies). Thanks so much. Tammy

Lisa Giles
                Student

I heard him say that as well…cheaper and a lot less side effects 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Clarissa Rinehold
                  Student

Thank you I dint even think about Dawn.

Beulah
                    Student

Just bought a big bottle of
                      Dawn for this purpose.
                      Happy to read that it works!

emrene12@gmail.com
                    Student

Also if you are able to get some guineas they are great for tick control

kschloesser
                        Student

We  love our guineas! We have a lot fewer ticks since we got them, plus they provide comic relief.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                            Homestead Instructor

So, those of you who are using guinea hens for tick control….

Do you have to tie the dog up so he’ll hold still for the guineas to peck all the ticks off?  :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Jodie Hummel
                                Student

The guineas just squeal until the ticks are annoyed and fall off!

I have to admit though, I had an old sheltie who loved to just go and lie in the sun and warm her old bones.  She was the most chill girl…I swear she had the soul of an old hippie.  More than once, I watched my hens take advantage of her good nature and literally would stand on her and remove fleas.  She would sleep through it all, until someone pecked a little too aggressively!  Thanks for the laugh though, Doc…my mind produced a great visual after your comment!

Tammy Bolieau
                                Student

Are Guineas better at tick control than chickens?  We have 45 chickens running free lol

Nichole A
                              Student

I’m a groomer and use a neem shampoo on dogs sometimes with fleas and ticks.

Julie Hatzell
                                Student

My dog has a tick that is being very stubborn, we’ve been trying to get it out for a couple days.  Watched all the youtubes on it.  It’s really stuck in there.  The mind boggling part is that we have 6 feet of snow on the ground! No idea where it even came from.  Doc, do you have any magical ideas on how to get this thing out of him???

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                    Homestead Instructor

There’s nothing magical or difficult about tick removal. Just grab it as close to the skin as possible and pull gently until it comes out. I’ve done it almost every day for about thirty years and have never had a head sty in the dog. If you do it right it’s just not an issue.

If the “tick” won’t come out that way, make sure it’s really a tick. I once had a nice old fellow come in because he’d been pulling “ticks” off his dog. They were really hard to get off, so he was using pliers and the dog just fought him like crazy and wouldn’t cooperate. Turns out they were teats on a male dog. He didn’t know boy dogs had nipples. I told him to take off his shirt and have a look in the mirror some time…but not to take any pliers with him when he did.

Neem shampoos can sometimes work for repellants for fleas and ticks. The veterinary products work much better and rarely have issues. The over the counter flea and tick products can have lots of toxic issues in my experience. Also, I have no use at all for flea collars. Wait, I’ll take that back. I think a flea collar in the vacuum bag is good for killing fleas from the carpet.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                        Susan Reuter
                                        Student

When you say, “The veterinary products work much better and rarely have issues.”… what products are you referring to?  I am new to this and not sure what to ask the vet for.  Thanks…

Kirsten Brack
                                      Student

This forum thread is very timely for me. Our family is moving to a part of the country where there are a lot of ticks and fleas.  I did find some pre diluted essential oil blends from a company called animalEO that are specific for repelling pests such as ticks and fleas, but it is encouraging to hear that there are some veterinary flea and tick treatments that are not too hazardous. Do you have another recommendations? Thanks

Joelle
                                        Student

Definitely finding these comment useful!

With a skittish, stray dog covered in ticks, we were told to put diluted rose geranium oil on him. We did this and nearly all the ticks fell off in two days or so. I’m not sure if this was coincidence, but it seems unusual for ticks to leave their victims. I’ve wanted an opportunity to try this again to see if I can prove its effectiveness; however,  I’m not sure how safe it is for them so have hesitated to do it again.

Dawn
                                          Student

Hello Doc, I watched the Dog webinar; hoping to find some answers on my girl’s fleas and allergies. It seemed the allergies started first but now we are fighting fleas too as I wierded out on all the chemicals and such. I’ve been trying to fight it with liver supporting milk thistle and burdock and skin support with Calendula and also using Nettle and Quercetin for allergies but I can’t win. I wash her, vaccum everything, clean the dog beds, powder with Diatmacious earth inside dog bed covers. We first started with diet elimination and keep her on Pork/Sweet Potato limited ingredient no grain kibble from Acana … but we are not winning. I am thinking that she is allergic to plants. What can I do for her. She is miserable … I get in middle of the night many nights to try flea combing again but I don’t always find any. Poor baby 🙁  I know of several dogs with seizures that just started all of a sudden at different ages. I am a bit afraid of the chemicals but I can’t let her suffer. What should I try next? She itches all over so bad … I have tried ACV rinses too and sometimes helps. I think it takes a bit of the heat out of her skin and makes it less attractive to fleas at the same time.  I also tried rinses or shampoos made with Neem oil, coconut oil, ACV, green tea, Lavender & Cedar EOs … but we are losing the battle. I tried Benedryl one or two days and Zyrtec a couple days but I have forgotten the dose for dogs using those so I may not have given enough as neither was effective.  I decided better to error on too little than too much.

My main thought is … am I missing something in the herbs? Am I suppose to give it more than breakfast and dinner time? Maybe I shouldn’t give with meals? Or am I just needing to go with meds? In which case, do you find a favorite topical flea treatment? All my searches and findings conflict and confuse me on that topic. And what is the “safest” or mildest first alternative for the itchy allergies? I think we need to just stop the allergy wheel from turning short time so she can get her footing again, figuratively speaking.

thanks for any feedback that you can offer.

Dawn B

Mary Streeter
                                            Student

How do we treat a horse who gets large welts and sore spots from bug bites every year? Mosquitoes, flies, ticks, and anything else that happens by.

Mary Streeter
                                              Student

I would love to know how to keep ticks off of us when we go camping. Any ideas for that?

Michelle Koch
                                                  Student

I use pyrethrin concentrate (not to be confused with permethrin, which is a synthetic) from Southern Ag on both my dog and myself.  It is also safe to use on houseplants and vegetable gardens.  Just follow the directions for correct ratio of dilution for what/who you’re using it on.

CariAnne Ninaus
                                                  Student

Has anyone heard of using amber to repel ticks from dogs? I heard a necklace made of amber beads (like you use for teething babies) will repel ticks. Just wondering if it works.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                Scroll to Top