Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Veterinary Herbology What to do for a dog that gets sick often?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nancy Goodell
      Student

I have a dog that seems to get sick (throw up) every once in a while(once every other month or so). Wondering what I could do for her?

I will tell you that recently one morning she got sick, she barfed up her dog license tag that went missing when she was a puppy. She is now 5 years old.  She still gets sick every once in a while. Could that be missing tag #2? Who knows. She never shows any signs of pain.

I do know she gets those greenies, one a day and several dog biscuits a day.

Any suggestions on what to do for her would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Joelle
        Student

We have farm dogs that are outdoors. But I see them throw up now and then. I feel like it’s relatively common for canines. Ours at least through up sometimes for no apparent reason but sometimes from catching a rabbit and eating the whole thing. If she frequently throws up after eating, I wonder if she just eats too fast. We had a dog that would throw up if he ate too fast and usually whole kernels of dog food came up! Certainly interesting that she threw up that tag from her puppy days!

There are plenty of herbs that are good for helping the stomach settle like chamomile and ginger and peppermint, but it would seem that it would be good to know the underlying cause if there is any.

Michelle Koch
          Student

My dog will vomit bile and grass if her stomach has been empty for too long.  Breaking up her meals into three portions instead of just two seems to help.  But in your dog’s case, I wonder if the metal from the tags are leaching into her bloodstream and causing metallergy?  What does your vet think?

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Some dogs have very sensitive stomachs. For those kids I do two things. First, I keep them on the same food all the time (sometimes a bland prescription diet) and no snacks, treats, table scraps ever.

Second, and more importantly, I put them on the Digestive Support powder twice daily.

Those two things make for far fewer problems with those kinds of dogs.

The formula is here if you want to make your own.

Digestive Formulas

Digestive – Support Powder

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Dr. Patrick Jones.
              1 user thanked author for this post.
          Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top