Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Why Tincture? Why not vacuum seal? Preserving and Preparing Questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      JENNIFER COATS
      Student

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi I’m Jennifer (NEWBIE here lol). My brain is overloaded but happily so.
        Concerning dry powders, when would it be more beneficial to tincture vs dumping the powder in a little water and immediately down the hatch (no straining). Are there any herbs it would not be wise to do so with? Like with Burdock Root powder… it’s basically pulverized wood… but it’s ok to swallow or would it be best to tincture?</p>
        Also, Doc you said something along the lines of powders only being good for a year. Why? If I put them in Mylar bags and vacuum seal them wouldn’t that extend the life of the herb? Or maybe put the powder in a mason jar and vacuum seal that!
        Of course then it would need to be brown bagged to keep light out right?… speaking of keeping light out….Doc, I couldn’t help but notice all your powdered herbs are in those pretty clear jars displayed on the shelf. Why are those ok in the light?

When I finally can start growing my own herbs, is there any reason not to put them in my freeze dryer? I did some fresh basil and it stayed beautiful and fragrant.

‘Thanks so much for any help. I am just loving this school and really enjoying learning about all these God given treatments

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Hi Jennifer Mine in Bold.

Hi I’m Jennifer (NEWBIE here lol). My brain is overloaded but happily so.
          Concerning dry powders, when would it be more beneficial to tincture vs dumping the powder in a little water and immediately down the hatch (no straining). Are there any herbs it would not be wise to do so with? Like with Burdock Root powder… it’s basically pulverized wood… but it’s ok to swallow or would it be best to tincture?

Most herbs are just as effective as a tea a tincture or a powder. There are some pros and cons to each but none of them are deal breakers. Have a look at the Making Herbal Medicine lesson. I cover all of those details there. For some herbs much of the benefit is the high fiber content either as a bulking laxative or as a food for good-guy bacteria in the gut. Making a tea or tincturing those completely eliminates those benefits. So if you make a burdock root tincture, it will still be great for your kidneys and liver, but it won’t feed your GI beneficial bacteria at all…they want the fiber.

Also, Doc you said something along the lines of powders only being good for a year. Why? If I put them in Mylar bags and vacuum seal them wouldn’t that extend the life of the herb? Or maybe put the powder in a mason jar and vacuum seal that!

Some plant medicines don’t have as long a life as vitamins or colors or flavors. Many of them are easily oxidized and become weaker. If I had a bag of five year old herbs, I wouldn’t be scared to use it but it may not be nearly as effective. Vacuum sealing will help a bit but not a ton. 

Of course then it would need to be brown bagged to keep light out right?… speaking of keeping light out….Doc, I couldn’t help but notice all your powdered herbs are in those pretty clear jars displayed on the shelf. Why are those ok in the light?

In the old days, I kept herbs in jars in my clinic. But those jars were in a dark room with no windows unless I was in the room doing something. Also, herbs in my clinic never stayed in the jars for long because I to through them so fast.

When I finally can start growing my own herbs, is there any reason not to put them in my freeze dryer? I did some fresh basil and it stayed beautiful and fragrant.

I suspect that freeze dried herbs would have a much better shelf life than dried herbs but I’ve never seen any research on it. 

The very best way to preserve activity and chemistry of medicinal herbs is by tincturing.

‘Thanks so much for any help. I am just loving this school and really enjoying learning about all these God given treatments

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top