Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Alcohol strength for tinctures AND best herbs to keep in stock

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Shannon Mertz
      Student

Hey y’all,

I have been busy making medicine. I live in a dry county; the closest liquor store is an hour and a half away. When I go, I stock up. I imagine they talk about me after I leave,hahaha, as well as my trash service. Oh well. So, here’s my questions: I use Everclear, and Smirnoff. It is costing me a small fortune!!! I will start buying the cheap vodka from now on, depending on the info I get from this post. Does the proof matter (40%,50% and 190proof)?  I did a small test on Lemon Balm. I did one jar in Smirnoff (40%) and another in Everclear (190).  Oh, my goodness!!!!!! The 40% was brownish lookin, but the 190 proof was a beautiful green color. Totally different look with the exact same ratios. I want to do everything in Everclear now.  Will too high of an alcohol (%/proof) hurt the herb/plant? Or can I use Everclear on everything (example-Dandelion or Mullein)?

My next question is: What are the ‘must have’ herbs y’all would recommend? Briefly, I am filling our medicine cabinet with all herbal products.  I currently have: Mullein, Dandelion, Dandelion Root, Lemon Balm, Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Black Hull Walnut, Valerian Root, California Poppy, Passionflower, Cayenne, Turmeric w/ Peppercorn, Ginger, Garlic and Elderberry. I am curing (Idk the correct lingo) Skullcap, Catnip, Sweet Violet, St John Wort, Echinacea, Feverfew, Willow Bark, Nettle leaf and Rosemary. I had made a quart jar of Oregano oil but didn’t realize it had to be Mediterranean Oregano. It’s my understanding that regular Oregano is useless ???? I was making it for an antibiotic. I need more antibiotics.

I need things that will treat infections/bacteria. I know y’all must think I’m strange for needing all this stuff, but I do have good reason. We’re trying to go off the grid and live, get ready for what may come….I’m preparing.

Any insight or advice/help will be very much appreciated. I thank y’all in advance. And I pray we never it. It better to have it and need it than to need it and not have it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Greg Boggs
        Student

You want at least 80 proof alcohol, people use vodka because its the cheapest. Doc recommends using Everclear on the more oily and resinous herbs, but vodka is good for most things

Must have herbs for me would be #1 Calendula #2 Cayenne and #3 Comfrey.

Shannon Mertz
            Student
            Topic Author

Thank you,Greg.

I use Comfrey in my salves. Also,Calendula. I think I’ll tincture these too.

You think it would hurt to use Everclear? I know it cost more,they look so much cleaner,if that makes sense.

Thank you again

Lisa Bateman
            Student

It’s my understanding that some constituents will extract by alcohol and others by water. That’s why a lesser proof (at least 80 proof) does good for many herbs. If it’s 80 proof, there is 40% alcohol and 60% water content, so more constituents may be extracted. I’m in the process of starting my stocking of herbal meds, as well, so I empathize with the cost factor. I am doing everything that is not resinous or oily in 80 proof. I’m leaving the herb in the tincture for now, allowing a longer extraction time…at least until I have to reduce size for storage or need to reuse the jars.

Lisa Bateman

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Shannon Mertz
                Student
                Topic Author

I have a book that suggest what  what strengths should be used,

It just blew my mind..

And then,I started overthinking it, and made myself confused.

Lol

Lisa Bateman
                    Student

I’m right there with you. Just like the most referenced ratio…1:5…often doesn’t cover the herb once it swells. I understand that many times those ratios are achievable if you use percolating (dripping mentrum over and through the dried herb)) to tincture. After thinking about it, I decided to KISS it. Keeping it simple is my mantra now. I start with a 1:5 tincture using maceration (covering the herb and shaking frequently over a month or more) and topping with more mentrum if the herb swells out of the liquid. I would argue that having the extract is better than not having it, and making things difficult is counterproductive.  I’m  not doing this for selling, so my strength will be similar between batches as long as I do the same thing using the same stuff each time. Saying that, I know that I have to remind myself to KISS it often.  Maybe I need to post a note where I work to help! 🙂

Lisa Bateman

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Lisa Bateman.
                        Shannon Mertz
                        Student
                        Topic Author

I do this too.  😉

Jean
                          Student

“1:5…often doesn’t cover the herb once it swells”

Hi Lisa, I have recently been finding that out.  I guess I am just going to cover with more alcohol.   My Chamomile is really testing me. (should I leave it or should I add more) Every time I shake it, I wonder if I should add more.

Jean
                        Student

Lisa said: “I’m leaving the herb in the tincture for now, allowing a longer extraction time…at least until I have to reduce size for storage or need to reuse the jars.”

Good strategy!

Lisa Bateman
                        Student

I also wonder if your test results show that more, and not less, was extracted in the lower proof, which is the the color was brown (more things extracted) vs green.

Lisa Bateman

Shannon Mertz
                            Student
                            Topic Author

I know…I was hoping Dr Jones  would jump in on this one.

Sharon
                            Student

Ladies, I’ve found the most economical good hooch for extracting comes from extractohol .com and is either 190 organic or 200 non organic.  The 5 gallon “serious tincturer” size is a really good deal, and then you can dilute it down to whatever you want, which of course, makes it even cheaper!  Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Sharon. Reason: misspelling
                              5 users thanked author for this post.
                              Wendy Dyk
                              Student
                                1. Hi Shannon!
                                  Way to go on stocking your herbs! My understanding on the different alcohol strengths is that the cheapest vodka, assuming it’s 40% alcohol, works perfectly for most dry herbs that don’t have high resin. Everclear for high resin and fresh herbs (due to the water content in the fresh plant). I also have stocked up a large number of herbs, but it would cost a small fortune to tincture them all, so I’m just keeping most of them in dry form and trying to grow as many as I can to keep the stock fresh.  The things I absolutely cannot grow I tincture. Like Doc says, herbs don’t care how they get in our body, so dry herbs are great too.
                                  One herb that I think is great to have on hand as an antibiotic is Old Man’s Beard, or Usnea lichen.  Some say it works similarly to doxycycline.
                                  Keep up the great work!
                                  Shannon Mertz
                                  Student
                                  Topic Author

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate this.

My phone makes it hard to reply… sorry my response in so sorry.

Jean
                                    Student

“I also have stocked up a large number of herbs”

Hi Wendy, I was stocking up on herbs before the move. Just “finding” some of them now. Some of the expiration dates are ok, others I need to make medicine out of asap or use up another way. I have to use the Oregon Grape c/s up this month.  Presently, I have been making the powdered Stomach Calm.  I will probably tincture the remaining Oregon Grape unless other’s better ideas.

“One herb that I think is great to have on hand as an antibiotic is Old Man’s Beard, or Usnea lichen.  Some say it works similarly to doxycycline.”

Do you know if putting Usnea in a closed container after harvesting is okay to do?  Did it need to be dried out or anything?  I realize there is a strange texture to it. Mine has been in a closed gallon container since last year.  The other question I have about it is, Should I even use it?  They say not to use anything within 50 feet of a busy road.  This tree was over 50 feet from a road that gets pretty busy during the summer months. (not more then 70 feet away though)  I have read where Usnea absorbs toxic chemicals as well.  It was easy to harvest from because it had to be cut down.

Shannon Mertz
                                        Student
                                        Topic Author

Another one that I can’t seem to find. It’s out of stock everywhere : Usnea.  I’m not confident enough to forage yet. And I ‘m a little afraid to go in the woods here; we have Mountain Lions and Coyotes. Rattlesnakes, Copperheads and Cotton Mouths. Mean dogs and mean people. The world has gone to complete trash . They just found body remains here a couple weeks ago. I live in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Crazy lives in the country too. Hopefully, I get an email letting me know it’s back in stock soon.

Jean
                                            Student

After you learn about the snake bit tinctures, you wont be as afraid!  We’ve come to the right place to learn!

Dawn
                                              Student

Yes, snakebites are a thing for our area too. We have all those in abundance here too. My dad always said to make noise as you go to give them warning that you are coming. Most snakes leave. My experience is that Cottonmouth/Water moccasins do not. They stand their ground, big or small, but they do not seem to chase (in our experience) so you can walk around them. (My great grandma was chased once by a Black Racer, uphill. But she lived to almost 100 with only one experience of that.) Another thing is keep your feet visible, don’t step where you can’t see your feet as much as possible. And don’t step over logs, rather step on it to look over the other side first. Another family member stepped into her shed to get a rake and was bit by copperhead or moccasin (don’t remember). So use lights and look around … prevention not complacency.

Someone online said, “We don’t fight complacency by walking around in fear of everything that could possibly go wrong. We fight it by being aware. By identifying potential threats and preparing for them. By understanding the actions we can proactively take to prevent complacency from seeping in” … so don’t let fear keep you from living your best life (as I see you are doing so high five, I’m just offering info for more power to you!)

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                                  Shannon Mertz
                                                  Student
                                                  Topic Author

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen
                                                      Student

I like to carry a gun when I’m in the woods if I think I may need it. Only had to use it once.

Jean
                                              Student

“I did a small test on Lemon Balm. I did one jar in Smirnoff (40%) and another in Everclear (190).  Oh, my goodness!!!!!! The 40% was brownish lookin, but the 190 proof was a beautiful green color. Totally different look with the exact same ratios. I want to do everything in Everclear now.”

I Shannon, Before I started this course, I grew wild lettuce and tried to tincture it.  (I didnt really know what I was doing) I had on hand  200 proof alcohol.  The ratio was not 1:5.  I just cut the herb up and covered it with 200 proof alcohol.  It was in the cupboard for a long time.  It had a luminescent brilliance to it.  I didnt want to lose that incredible color so just left it until it was starting to fade.  When I tasted it – – – it was way strong and wondered how anybody could ever take it!  Truthfully, I think there was more alcohol in it then medicine!

“I need things that will treat infections/bacteria. I know y’all must think I’m strange for needing all this stuff, but I do have good reason. We’re trying to go off the grid and live, get ready for what may come….I’m preparing.”

You Go Girl!

Doc. Jones does recommend in his book to have on hand herbs that would be hard to get. IE: Herbs from across the pond.

Shannon Mertz
                                                  Student
                                                  Topic Author

I just went to the liquor store and bought the cheapest vodka they had. Both 40% and 50%. I have plenty Everclear left. I ordered a book that somewhat tells me what strengths to use for what herb. I wish it had mentioned more herbs but,,,, it gives me an idea. The book said that using too high of an alcohol could destroy the herb. I guess the brownish lookin color will do, lol. I use dried herbs for all my tinctures.

I can’t find Wild Lettuce anywhere!!!!!!!!!! I need that now for my personal use. I am making myself crazy trying to be prepared.

Thank you for your comment.   😉

Jean
                                                      Student

“I just went to the liquor store and bought the cheapest vodka they had. Both 40% and 50%.”

Hi Shannon, I did that last time and realized after I got home that the container was made out of plastic.  I took it back and exchanged it for a glass bottle. I may be extra paranoid, but, one never knows what may be leaching into the alcohol from the plastic.  Not to make life more difficult, just my own precaution.

Shannon Mertz
                                                          Student
                                                          Topic Author

Oh goodness…… I haven’t thought about that. I wonder if it matters?

Thank you

Dawn
                                                      Student

Hi Shannon, I’ve been on the same mindset and I have spent a small fortune on alcohol and herbs so I get ya. The one herb I think you should really have that is not in your list is Marshmallow. Remember it is good for many reasons but one is the poultice and tincture for after venomous bites (snakes, spiders, etc). And I saw Valerian but we really use a lot of Chamomile in my house so you might want that one too. And my preference is Meadowsweet (over Willow) for it’s soothing to the stomach, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, and diarrhea effects … plus I have been taught that it take effect quicker for headaches and others. How about some Milk Thislte or Burdock?  I want both for my family as Milk Thistle is the only thing, I read on pubmed, that can work on Death Cap mushroom poisoning. I think the Dandelion parts will detox but I like the extra protection of Milk Thistle (just worth mentioning I thought). Also, have you thought about mushrooms? Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga, and maybe Lions Mane and Cordyceps for all the health benefits 🙂

I was wondering on your test of Lemon Balm … could there have been a difference in the herbs’ freshness? I have made a brown tincture and a fresh vibrant green tincture and the difference was one was dried and the other was fresh. Fresh herbs seem to always have such nice colorings … St Johns Wort is absolutely beautiful when made using fresh (oil or tincture) and making it a little too late give you no color from that red oil.

Sorry if this is long. I hope it is helpful.  Take good care 😉

Jean
                                                          Student

Excellent Points Dawn!

Shannon Mertz
                                                            Student
                                                            Topic Author

Hi Dawn!

I have already started infusing new herbs. Marshmallow Root, Burdock leaf and root are included, amongst several others. I did not know that the Marshmallow would help with snake bites!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for that information.  I need Meadowsweet.  I have a 1lb bag of Chamomile.  I haven’t done anything with it.  I am very interested in herbs that can treat venomous bites and stings, as well as antibiotics. I had no idea Calendula was used as an antibiotic until after taking this course. I made a qt size jar of it.

This information is so helpful. Thanks again

Dawn
                                                                Student

Hi Shannon, Trying not to be too lengthy, I only mentioned the venomous bites. I should have added Doc has it in several places in the school. Look in section titled “illnesses-issues-herbal-interactions” for lesson titled “venomous-bites-stings” in this module he includes background info and the formula (which has 4 herbs: Echinacea root, Dandelion root, Marshmallow root, and Plantain). Marshmallow stood out from your list but it appears you may be missing Plantain too. Note how useful both are as it isn’t just for bites. Doc has an extensive list of herbs in the Individual Plant monographs section. I’m guessing you started with the “When there is No Doctor” lessons, if not, I think you will get a lot of the info I mentioned in there.

Elder tree is a great investment as I have found how helpful it is particularly during cold/flu season just to word off those buggers as prevention or early onset. Keeping your immune system strong. And seeds for all the above plants is good to keep your herb stock coming. Doc also has a section on the books that he likes. I have found many of them very useful and the need for multiple books will become evident after you start using them. There are a couple strings of posts already on the forum talking about the books so I’d just refer to that string if you are interested.

Best, D

Jean
                                                              Student

Shannon, If you have not seen this . . .  its a good read with lots of really good insight etc.

Miracle Max: Leg Wound and Sepsis Case

Shannon Mertz
                                                                  Student
                                                                  Topic Author

Thank you!

Shannon Mertz
                                                                    Student
                                                                    Topic Author

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr Jones is the man!!!! So thankful that baby has a new home

Jean
                                                                    Student

I just looked for meadowsweet in the Home Grown Herbal Shop and they do not seem to have any meadowsweet powder.

Jean
                                                                      Student

“I can’t find Wild Lettuce anywhere!!!!!!!!!! I need that now for my personal use”

I think it is also called prickly lettuce.  However, to forewarn you, I do not think Doc. Jones recommends Wild Lettuce.  I was tincturing it before I knew about this course.  I cant say what I will do in the future regarding Wild Lettuce.

You do know that with the pain kit that Doctor Jones sells, that all of the tinctures in that kit can be used topically.  So, if I was in pain, I would try those particular tinctures for pain.  (I guess that is my goal, more then antibiotics, because, when I am in pain, I cannot think straight enough to use an antibiotic.

• #51309
                                                                          Shannon Mertz
                                                                          Student
                                                                          Topic Author

oh! thank you….. -I have been so busy, I haven’t had time to sit with my courses, nor watch any videos.

• #51337
                                                                              Tim Majors
                                                                              Student

I’m going to be collecting meadowsweet in early June (at full blossom here). I have one bush I’m taking out to make room for a rainwater collection tank.  I can start a few cuttings too if you want a plant.  I’ll be making tincture from the remaining bush.  Any interests out there let me know your contact info..

Shannon, you never can be too prepared stocking apothecary shelves if you have access to the herbs & storage in my book!  You will only be out the booze if never needed, but thankful if relied upon.  I only use a fraction of what I store and grow. I can get you seeds for wild lettuce if you are in need or I have about 80-100 oz on the shelf so I could part with a 4 oz bottle tinctured if you get in a pickle.  You can also try fermentation weights on your herb tinctures…when dry herbs swell.  The weights help for the first short time until you can compress herbs and add more alcohol.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by HGH I.T..
                                                                          • #51338
                                                                            Jean
                                                                            Student

So, I am confused on the “dry” counties etc.  When I looked it up, it said (for 2024) all kinds of states are “dry”  Said our state was “dry”  But, there are places that make and sell alcohol around these parts.  So, does that mean that you cant layer apples + sugar + raisins in a jar and wait 4 months for it to change into brandy?

• #51366
                                                                              Diane Fraxier
                                                                              Student

Doesn’t Doc Jones suggest grinding the herbs so that the alcohol covers in the 1-5 ratio? Plus, some suggest you can get more of the goodness from this method?? I’d pop a smiley face here if I knew how on my mac! Just a thought. I think I’ve been doing the folk method but like the consistency of the 1-5 ratio.This way I think I will have more confidence in the end product as Lisa Bateman suggests .

• #51380
                                                                                Jean
                                                                                Student

Hi Diane, Yes, Dr. Jones does favor grinding the herbs first and using the 1:5 ratio method.  However, I can think of at least one example where, at least I would not be able to do that.  Living off grid would not avail me the use of my vitamix.  (unless I had a generator – – –  which personally, I would not want to rely on) But then one could grind the dried herbs by hand and powder the herbs fairly well.  On the other hand, Fresh Elderberry flowers come to mind (I dont know why) but, perhaps maybe they would be too light and fluffy and it would be nice to weigh them down. It’s a nice technique to keep in the back of ones mind.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                              Scroll to Top