Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs alfalfa and auto immune

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Annett
      Student

Doc,

Is this true? (I came across it on the internet.)

“Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Alfalfa might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. 

If it is true, could you explain if it is safe to use, in any way, when a person has an autoimmune disease?

2 users thanked author for this post.

I believe Alfalfa is not recommended for those with autoimmune diseases due to it stimulating the immune system.  I saw this on Doc Jones slides on cardiovascular plants. you may want also to check out his slides on Alfalfa and auto immune diseases.. I WISH WE COULD BECASUE IT HAS SO MANY NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

It does have some very mild immune-stimulating effects and could aggravate autoimmune issues in some folks.

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top