• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy
      Student

I have a daughter who has an allergy to corn. And I am trying to figure out what alcohols to use to make tinctures for her.  I’m curious if anyone has come across this before and what alcohols you have used. It seems that most people use vodka or Everclear, but I think those are made from corn.  Would that affect her? Or is okay for her to take since they have been distilled?  For right now, I intend to make her tinctures with 100% agave tequila. But does anyone have any information on this?

Michelle Koch
        Student

Vodka is usually made from potatoes, though some of the less expensive ones may use corn.  You’ll have to do some research, to be safe.  Distilled spirits are generally thought to be allergen safe.  At least, I know that to be the case with spirits distilled from “gluten grains,” like barley and rye.

Elizabeth
          Student

Hi Amy !

My sister has an allergy to corn as well and I was just curious what your daughter’s allergic reactions looks like ? My sister’s skin gets very itchy and rashy on the inside of her elbows and she gets hives when she eats anything that has corn. We just discovered that some citric acids can be made from fermented corn instead of citrus so that is an ingredient to look out for. Dextrose and maltodextrin also contain corn. We have had to change up my sister’s diet .It was interesting to find out that vodka can sometimes contain corn . Thanks Michelle for sharing that ! I was wanting to make some tinctures so I will have to look into the ingredients to see if there is any corn.

Oh, what peace we often forfeit, Oh, what needless pain we bear,
            All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer!

Hi Amy, I am also allergic to corn. I make my tinctures with Luksusowa vodka, a polish potato vodka. It is the least expensive potato vodka I have readily accessible. Tequila is fine to use as well. Another corny consideration is encapsulating herbs. Vegan capsules can be made from corn. Look for beef gelatin or tapioca capsules.

Peace and all good!

Peace and all good!

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Scroll to Top