Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gayle Scott
      Student

I recently listened to the wound management class, specifically where Doc. Jones talks about Arnica and that it is poisonous if taken internally.  Yesterday I went to visit my parents and my mom mentioned that she bought Arnica Montana at a local store to help with broken blood vessels.  The directions say that it should be dissolved under the tongue four times a day.  I am not doubting Doc. Jones at all, but I am confused.  Could the over the counter stuff that my mom is taking be something other than actual Arnica?

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

She’s taking a homeopathic remedy. Homeopathy is a completely different modality than herbalism.

Homeopathic remedies are made as follows:

They take a very small amount of  the substance (sometimes even really toxic substances like Arnica)
          Then they put it into a gallon of water, shake it and say nice things to it.

Then they take a drop of that gallon of water and throw the rest away. They then put that single drop into another gallon of water and shake it and say nice things to it. Then they take a drop of that gallon and throw the rest away and add the drop to another gallon of water.

They repeat this process lots of times. Until, at the end of the process, there really is absolutely none of the original substance in the drop of water. They then take the drop of water and make a little sugar pill that you put under your tongue.

Hanneman, the father of homeopathy, said that what remained after all of those serial dilutions was “The spirit of the remedy“.  Science hasn’t been able to verify beneficial effects of homeopathy. Some practitioners swear by it. I haven’t ever used it and don’t have experience to allow an opinion either way. I do know that science has had no trouble verifying benefits of herbs, acupuncture and lots of other alternative things so I am a little concerned that they haven’t found much benefit to homeopathy. ON the other side of that coin, I have a veterinarian colleague that tells me he uses a couple of homeopathic remedies in his vet practice and they invariably work…and dogs don’t have a placebo effect. So, I guess the jury is still out for me.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Gayle Scott
          Student
          Topic Author

That makes sense, now that you say it.  I remember you talking about Homeopathy in the lectures but I didn’t put it together.  Is there any medicine left or would a topical application be better?

2 users thanked author for this post.
              Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

I’m not sure what you’re asking. If you’re asking whether homeopathy is effective, I really have no experience with it. I have some associates (that I don’t think are crazy) that think it works in their vet clinics and animals don’t have a placebo effect so there may be something there. I do know that a topical Arnica liniment works wonders for joint pains and inflammations.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top