Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi. I’ve been using ashwaghanda nightly for 6 years to sleep. I didn’t know I had to cycle it or any side effects until now.

I think it is possible I have hyperthyroidism and excess testosterone. I’d like to know any herbs I can take to balance out the testosterone? As I really feel ashw is the best thing to help me sleep.

I am now researching substitutes to cycle Ashw with to take a break from it. I’ve bought Siberian Ginseng and L-theanine.

I suffer from hypochondria and anxiety so I am struggling to be brave and try a new herb because I don’t know how my body will react and if it will work for my sleep or I’ll end up with a bad night of insomnia if I skip the ashw and try and L-theanine.

I am also researching gaba and melatonin but I haven’t heard great things regarding side effects and I know that I’ve had insomnia for over 6 years and it still requires help despite longterm ashwaghanda.

Potentially ashw has perpetuated the insomnia by giving me more work with adrenals, testosterone and hyper thyroid activity…… So I’m in a fearful place as I need to sleep well and have not been since I realised the ashwaghanda might be causing more issues.

I stopped taking it for a few nights and it started a very bad episode of insomnia and I then took it again at the same time as realising, it might exacerbate the issue…

I also have reached out to professional ayurvedic practitioners of a few names and am waiting to hear back about consultations so I can seek professional advice, but as I’m pretty desperate to sort it all out…

I’d love your help. If I can find any herbal supplements now to calm any excess testosterone or thyroid issues, and adrenal over activity… It might mean I can keep taking ashwaghanda til I speak to an ayurvedic practitioner/herbalist and find out what the best replacement is.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Ayurvedic Medicine’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top