Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Bought too much of some herbs – what to do?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eve Morris
      Student

Which herbs did you purchase and what was the original intended purpose?

Sharon
          Student
          Topic Author

Hi Eve.  When I first got into herbs back in April of last year, I bought organic herbs from Hawaii, and just had no idea on what a pound of Calendula (as an example) looked like and how far those would go.  The intended purpose for all the herbs was just “all things medicinal” – be it tinctures, salves, teas, or whatever…  Are you asking me what specific herbs what I have extra of?

Eve Morris
              Student

I agree that it is hard to judge when buying online, Sharon! I have absolutely done that too with some peppermint and other herbs. I have made glycerites with some of it, and a couple tea blends, and will be using some for some bath salts as well. I love calendula! Will you be making salves too on top of your tincture? Have you thought of infusing some oils for soap making?

Sharon
                  Student
                  Topic Author

I don’t know if I’ll make salves now that Doc has introduced me to topical tinctures which soak in quickly – unlike salves that just sit on our skin forever!  Since pretty much anything I make is just for hubby and I (I’m not selling tinctures or anything else) – there’s a limit to what I feel we can reasonably use.  Soaps?  Probably not at this time, we really like our Kirk’s Castile bar soap – in fact, we both even wash our hair with it.  We are pretty much simple creatures of habit, but for more medicinal things, that’s where I can be more “creative” as I learn more if that makes sense.

Sharon
              Student

What is the best thing to do with one’s herbs when one didn’t know how far some of them would go?  There’s only so much tincture a family of two needs!  Thoughts on what to do with the rest before it goes stale and weak?  I like Doc’s idea of using tinctures topically for things instead of salves and such quite often, which would use up more of the herbs, but also requires a lot of alcohol purchasing just to use them up.  Thoughts anyone?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

If you got them in April, they’re probably still fine. Tincture anything you won’t use in the next several months. Nothing else you can do has any shelf life.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

5 users thanked author for this post.
                    Sharon
                    Student
                    Topic Author

Doc, would it be ok if I did some herb swapping with folks here?  I won’t if you don’t allow it.  Just thought it might be a good way for me to get some things you don’t carry, and let others get some from me.  Totally your call on it.  You can totally delete this post if you don’t want me “herb swapping” here.  Thanks 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Wouldn’t vacuum sealing preserve the potency?

Sharon
                      Student
                      Topic Author

I hope so!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                        Homestead Instructor

Probably a little. Not grinding them until you need them can increase shelf life a bit too.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

I have bought a volume more of herbs at times, then needed for tinctures or salves for home.  So I got on the net and probably have compiled over 250 tea recipes – bought cute containers, attached a spoon to the side and they are my go to Christmas gifts and Valentine Day gifts — everyone has loved them.

Sharon
                        Student
                        Topic Author

So who has any of the following (grown in an organic way without certification of course)?

1. Eyebright (2 oz)

2. Grape leaves (4-6 oz)

3. Goldenrod (2-4 oz)

4. Gumweed

5. Rehmannia root (4 oz)

I have lots of things that we could potentially swap – or I can just purchase yours if you don’t want to swap.  If you want to give me a “list” of what you might like in return, we can go from there.  Too bad there’s not a chat function here so we don’t clutter up the forum with back and forth…

Kelly Clemmer
                            Student

I don’t have any of these but I know that goldenrod grows in my back yard.  In 8 months I will have a little… Good luck finding some swapping buddies! I plan to grow as much as possible this summer and I hope I have extras to share!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              Zavier Banman
                              Student

I think you’ll be able to find gumweed without much issue if you live in the western or mid US and just walk along the sides of some country road, or maybe an abandoned gravel pit if you have any of those nearby.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Scroll to Top