Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone found a good source of Brigham tea? I saw some online but am hesitant

until I have a reccomendation for a source. BTW Horizon Herbs said they will quite possibly have

Brigham Tea plants in the spring. They had them last spring.

Dr. Patrick Jones
      Homestead Instructor

It can be tough to find for some reason. I’ve always gotten mine trading with folks.

Patrick

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

nuff2spare, where do you live?

I am in Idaho FAlls. 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I got some Brigham tea from a friend. I’m getting a bit of a head cold…sneezing my brains out all day.

I made some Brigham tea and honey and it works great for about four hours. Tastes really nice too. 🙂

I”m killing the cold with other herbs but it’s sure nice to have something to dry up the sniffles. I’m not familiar with any other American herbs that have good anti-histamine effects. There are some good Chinese ones (Ephedra = Ma Huang).

Patrick

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Just read an article that indicates that there is no ephedra in Brigham/Mormon Tea:

What do you say about that Patrick?

Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

IdahoHerbalist wrote: Just read an article that indicates that there is no ephedra in Brigham/Mormon Tea:

The pharmaceutical companies tried to milk it for ephedrines without commercial success. It doesn’t have enough for them to distill them out and have it be worth it economically. Still, it clearly has anti-histamine effects when I take it so there’s something in there.

Read Michael Moore about it. He says the same thing essentially.

Patrick

Comfrey
            Student

I have used Brigham Tea as a tea for my son when he had asthma issues. It worked amazingly great. So whether it has ephedra or not, I was impressed. I just wish I knew were some grew.

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Comfrey wrote: I have used Brigham Tea as a tea for my son when he had asthma issues. It worked amazingly great. So whether it has ephedra or not, I was impressed. I just wish I knew were some grew.

It apparently grows in much of Utah and Nevada. I got some from a lady in Colorado too. One of these days, I’m going to drive down to Utah and find some.

Patrick

I will vouch for the asthma issues. It works really well for my bronchial asthma. I bought some powder and put it in capsules. I take two in the morning and two at night. I can really tell the difference when I skip a dose. Also I have given a tiny bit of powder in a juice to my grandchildren when they have bad runny noses. It clears them up right away.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

I’ve used it for the dreaded sneezy/runny nose head cold with great success. Lasts for a couple of hours then, I have another cup o’ tea. 🙂

Patrick

I have found best results with a tincture when I don’t use too much. Seems to not be as effective if I get impatient and double dose it.

On the minerals: does the tincture process pull out the minerals as well? Used 80 proof.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                  Homestead Instructor

IdahoHerbalist wrote: Just read an article that indicates that there is no ephedra in Brigham/Mormon Tea:

I think it contains “ephedrine-like” substances. Not near the levels of the chinese Ma Huang, but certainly enough to be useful.

Some companies did some experimenting with it to see if it could be a viable source for commercial extraction/production but between the low levels of drug and the very slow growth rate it was a non-starter.

Patrick

Dr. Patrick Jones
                    Homestead Instructor

nuff2spare wrote: Has anyone found a good source of Brigham tea? I saw some online but am hesitant

until I have a reccomendation for a source. BTW Horizon Herbs said they will quite possibly have

Brigham Tea plants in the spring. They had them last spring.

Chances are, if you could grow it on your place it still wouldn’t be able to keep up with your usage. They grow really, really slowly.

Doc

Ive had it a few times when I used to live in Idaho but I didn’t think that it was too effective…

Brigham Tea grows prolifically in the lava rocks around Snow Canyon just north of St. George and continues north along route 18 until just above Central. It doesn’t seem to like high elevations. We live at 6800 feet. I bought a plant and it barely made it for 3 years then died. I think it was just too cold for it.

Fey

It’s illegal here in Australia. :confused:

Brigham tea is illegal or Ma Huang (ephedra sinica), which is the stronger Chinese variety?

Fey

Anything with the name Ephedra. They won’t allow the seeds past customs.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                          Homestead Instructor

Fey wrote: Anything with the name Ephedra. They won’t allow the seeds past customs.

Well we can’t expect bureaucrats to be botanists. :face palm:

Doc

I have read that the best time to harvest Brigham Tea is during a dry spell when there has not been any moisture for at least 2 weeks, and when it is flowering. The plants around Veyo, Utah are yellow with flowers right now. We ventured out today to get a bag full and had a wonderful time. However, when we laid the herb out on a tarp in the shed to dry, the little “balls” that grow on the joints of the stems started falling off like crazy. I’m not sure if the balls are the flowers or fruiting bodies or what, but they sure are a mess. If it is best to harvest Brigham Tea when it is flowering, and then the flowers all fall off, what is the point? I’d rather harvest just before or after flowering and avoid the mess! :confused:

Maybe Patrick can address the joint scales that have a particular medicinal quality that I cannot remember. Moore’s book does not address it either.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                            Homestead Instructor

SageWoman wrote: I have read that the best time to harvest Brigham Tea is during a dry spell when there has not been any moisture for at least 2 weeks, and when it is flowering. The plants around Veyo, Utah are yellow with flowers right now. We ventured out today to get a bag full and had a wonderful time. However, when we laid the herb out on a tarp in the shed to dry, the little “balls” that grow on the joints of the stems started falling off like crazy. I’m not sure if the balls are the flowers or fruiting bodies or what, but they sure are a mess. If it is best to harvest Brigham Tea when it is flowering, and then the flowers all fall off, what is the point? I’d rather harvest just before or after flowering and avoid the mess! :confused:

I don’t know about the flowers, but the little brown scaly stuff that falls off makes a good styptic for stopping bleeding externally.

Doc

Yes, these are not scales, but round yellowish balls that cling to the stems. Not every bush has them, so maybe they come in male and female. The flowers,( or whatever they are) are growing thick and yellow on the Brigham Tea in southern Utah right now. They especially seem to like growing amidst volcanic rock.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

I’d love to have some pictures of flowering Brigham tea. 🙂

Can you post some here? Then I could steal them and use them in my Brigham tea module! :blob:

Doc

I will work on it!

If you send them in an email you could send a full resolution image! Then he could reduce it as needed.

OK It is really windy today, but I’ll see what I can do. Hopefully the flowers are still in bloom!

I have been able to find Brigham Tea plants at Willard Bay Gardens in Willard, Utah. Just thought I would let anyone know if they are passing through that area. It’s an amazing perennial nursery and if they can sell it, they will get it into the store. I bought two a few years back. They are growing happily in my yard.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                Homestead Instructor

Annetrich wrote: I have been able to find Brigham Tea plants at Willard Bay Gardens in Willard, Utah. Just thought I would let anyone know if they are passing through that area. It’s an amazing perennial nursery and if they can sell it, they will get it into the store. I bought two a few years back. They are growing happily in my yard.

Anne where is your yard?

Doc

Would you be willing to buy some and ship them to us if Patrick is not in the area soon?

Patrick, are you going to LOGAN this weekend? Willard is pretty close to that! :yahoo: I have some PERFECT places to put a few of them.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                  Homestead Instructor

IdahoHerbalist wrote: Would you be willing to buy some and ship them to us if Patrick is not in the area soon?

Patrick, are you going to LOGAN this weekend? Willard is pretty close to that! :yahoo: I have some PERFECT places to put a few of them.

I’ll call them and see if they have any. They’ll probably ship them.

Patrick

Doc Jones wrote:

Would you be willing to buy some and ship them to us if Patrick is not in the area soon?

I’ll call them and see if they have any. They’ll probably ship them.

Patrick

I live in the Brigham area next to Willard. I can be your go between if they do not ship them. Let me know. Willard Bay Gardens is a great place to deal with. Barney and I think Della (?) are the shop owners and some of the most knowledgeable people I know for all things plant.

Already checked, they do NOT ship plants. :sad puppy: I will see if they have anything else I am interested in and let you know.

I don’t know if they will survive shipping. Or if I can legally. I would be glad to take your orders and perhaps we could meet halfway. I am coming up to Doc’s for the June workshop if they can wait till then also. Let me know. Always glad to help. 🙂

Hand carried and personally delivered at the June meetings would be PERFECT!!!! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                    Homestead Instructor

Cheri are you coming to the Logan workshop this Saturday?

Doc

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it.

Annetrich wrote:

I have been able to find Brigham Tea plants at Willard Bay Gardens in Willard, Utah. Just thought I would let anyone know if they are passing through that area. It’s an amazing perennial nursery and if they can sell it, they will get it into the store. I bought two a few years back. They are growing happily in my yard.

Anne where is your yard?

Doc

Sorry for the really late response… I live in Layton, Utah. I have three happy Brigham tea plants. I believe they have Been in for about five or six years. Worth growing in my opinion!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                      Homestead Instructor

Annetrich wrote: Annetrich wrote:

Anne where is your yard?

Doc

Sorry for the really late response… I live in Layton, Utah. I have three happy Brigham tea plants. I believe they have Been in for about five or six years. Worth growing in my opinion!

We’re going to have to plant some up here in Idaho and see if it will behave. We’ve tried it a few times but keep drowning it. We’ll try it again and not be so nice to it.

Doc

Annett
                                        Student

Do you know how deep Brigham Tea roots will go?

Not a clue. Nothing on the net about that either.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                          Homestead Instructor

My guess is “not very”. Most plants like that seem to emphasize shallow roots to pick up any water that hits the ground before it evaporates.

On the other hand, some desert kids go really deep looking for water. I’m guessing shallow though.

One of you Southern folk should go yank on one and let us know. 🙂

Doc

cerulean blue
                                            Student

Are there several varieties of Brigham Tea? I found two plants that are similar, but am having a heck of a time attaching the pictures here and can’t find varieties online.

I have tried to grow Brigham Tea at 6800 feet and didn’t have success. It seems to prefer a very particular elevation that is lower than ours. But, the plant I was working with had shallow roots.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                              Homestead Instructor

Kimmer10 wrote: Are there several varieties of Brigham Tea? I found two plants that are similar, but am having a heck of a time attaching the pictures here and can’t find varieties online.

There are several species. I’ve seen both Ephedra viridis and Ephedra nevadensis in Utah.

Viewing 45 reply threads
                                            • The forum ‘Medicinal Herbs’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                                            Scroll to Top