Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Can tinctures be used to make lotions

• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by .
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kim
      Student

To make an infused oil using the double boiler method I understand 1/2 cup dry herb to one cup oil is a good ratio. If I wanted to use a tincture instead of a dry herb, how much would I need? Thought if I used a tincture I would be able to skip the straining. I would then add bees wax to make a salve. To turn the salve into a lotion I would need 1 cup of tea instead of plain water. How much of the tincture should I add to the water to make the tea?  I’m still trying to figure all this stuff out.  Thanks for the clarification guys.

Dawn
        Student

I have this same question.  Can a tincture of say, Calendula, be made into a lotion?

Ruth Beckler
          Student

Doc’s dosing recommendations say to use 1-2 tsp of dry herbs or 1/4 – 1/2 tsp tincture for normal dosing.

Therefore, it seems to me your tincture should be 1/4 the volume of the dry herbs called for.

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Have a look at the medicine making lesson on oils & lotions. The tincture would be used in place of water at the end, not mixed with the hot oil step.

Making Herbal Medicines Lesson 6: Infused Oils, Salves & Lotions

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Is there a reason you would want to use a tea over a tincture? I’m wondering specifically if you’re making it the recipe used in lesson 6 for diaper rash would the tincture cause it to sting when you put it on? I’m guessing typically the tincture would have more strength than a tea but I didn’t know if there would be times where a tea would be better.

Karen Case
              Student

Hello can anyone tell me how clean a burdock root or any root before drying it?

Greg Boggs
                  Student

we just wash them off in the sink to get all the dirt off. I then cut the root up into very small pieces to lay on our drying racks

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top