Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TimberBakery
      Student

Considering the natural growth cycle of a plant, and that leaves are best before a plant flowers, are the leaves of comfrey as medicinally powerful this time of year (autumn) if they are newer growth?  I harvested some in early summer, the plant flowered, I cut it back and used the leaves as fertilizer, and now it has grown beautiful new leaves.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Joelle
        Student

If it was all I had access to, I would definitely use it. I’ve used mine plenty of times after it flowered. But considering it is autumn, why don’t you harvest roots which are very potent now? That’s what I plan to do in a couple weeks.

GCubed
          Student

Slightly off topic but wondering how you did your chop and drop of the leaves for the fertilizer. Do you cut all leaves to the ground and then lay them out like mulch? Is it okay to do this in the fall before frost?

coronaleo
            Student

My comfrey is still big and beautiful as of today. we’ve had several light freezes and I’ve cut alot of it back to dry, and give to my ducks, but its got alot of new growth. We planted comfrey under many of our fruit trees several years ago, because they help retain moisture in the soil. plus added benefits of leaves giving back to us and the soil. win win.

That is a great idea for around trees. I am definitely doing this in the spring. Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top