Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies diagnosed ovarian dysfunction- low progesterone looking for natural assistance

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie Hughes
      Student

Hi,

I’m a new student and just starting out on this journey but I’m needing some assistance right now. I was diagnosed by my doctor a few years ago with Ovarian Dysfunction- low progesterone. Basically, I make progesterone, just not enough of it and the symptoms are a nightmare every month. I’ve been on HCG- hormone replacement but that got WAY too expensive to continue so I was placed on Birth control. But that has a lot of side effects too so I’m looking for suggestions for a natural approach. Last month I started taking Rhodiola root and Chaste Tree, which was what I found suggested most often for my situation along with certain foods and minerals to add to my diet that could help support my body in it’s own production of progesterone. I would like to have suggestions by individuals here who may be further along in their herbal medicine journey rather than just what I can google. I feel like people here might be more knowledgeable. It’s like google is a big net for a wide range of fish, but I want a smaller net (this forum) for more specific information from people who are actually studying the same thing I am, herbal medicine.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dee.MW
        Student

Hi Katie – The female reproduction module has a lot of the information you will want on herbs for hormone imbalance and managing symptoms.  Chaste tree berry, dong quai, and wild yam are all up there as hormone modulators for sure.  Love that you are looking into nutrition changes as well.  Eliminating environmental estrogenic plastics like food packaging and body care products would also be on my list.  One final thought, try some body work like massage or acupuncture if you can.  Years ago I had a hormonal issue that was resolved by a deep massage, the change felt like heat flowing from my neck down my spine once it was no longer impeded at my shoulder.  Wishing you health : )

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Katie Hughes
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks for sharing. I have also had to change a lot of products I was using to natural ones without chemicals and such but that was for sensitive skin issues I was dealing with that have gotten worse as I’ve gotten older. I have heard that plastics and products could affect hormones, which doesn’t surprise me, but I’m not sure which chemicals I should look out for, I just figure most of them are harmful and try to go as natural as possible. haha  Also, I would LOVE a massage, honestly, and I keep talking to my family and friends about how I would like to try a full body alignment from a chiropractor but that can get expensive and at the moment I can’t afford it. Perhaps it’s something I can do in the future though. I’ll keep it in mind.

Rose Pistilli
            Student

Have you ever tried maca root? I don’t really understand everything about it but I’ve taken it a long time and it’s helped my cycles and postpartum depression/mood. I also take a small amount of flax and raspberry leaf tea. I used to have short ludeal (sorry if that’s spelled wrong!) phases and that resolved with what I was doing as well.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top