Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jean
      Student

I really did not know where to put this . . .

But,  I need to know how to humanely dispatch a squab using a knife and one hand.

How do you hold it by its wings upside down?

Jean
        Student
        Topic Author

In other words, how does one dispatch a bird in a kosher way

Dan Flowers
          Student

Using only one hand I guess you need to anchor the bird to the ground with one foot.  Using the one hand to hold the birds head pull the head in line with the spine to elongate the spine and twist the head at the same time as you pull.  You will want to do this quickly and with force and rotating the head at least 180 degrees.  This will break the neck and severe the spinal cord with is very humane.  No pain to the bird once spinal cord is severed.

Jean
            Student
            Topic Author

Thank you Dan,

I believe the bird is held by its wings (somehow) and by turning it around (upside down) the head and neck would be exposed in such a way that makes silting the throat easier and safer. (with the sharpest knife possible)

As a side note, I once walked into a chipped glass garden clotch.   (glass garden bell) The chip in the glass was so sharp, I did not even know that I had almost severed two of my smallest toes off.  Only seeing the blood first made me aware that I had cut myself badly. That is how sharp the knife needs to be. That is another hurdle for me to jump over: keeping a knife that sharp so there is no absolutely no pain. There are knives that I can buy that have super sharp edges that can be replaced as needed.

I will re-read your post again and again.  Thank you!

Caty Postma
              Student

When I dispatch my birds, like Muscovy ducks, chickens, and smaller turkeys, I use a kill cone. I made one for myself but it is basically a cone upside down and then attached to a tree. I then place the bird into the cone with the head down. By pulling down the head, you expose the neck and it is easy to slit their throat safely and quickly. Because I am usually doing this by myself, I have made a noose with some cordage which I place around the neck and hold down wrapped 2x around my foot. by doing this I can elongate the neck without any hands and the bird is incapable of getting out of the cone. I personally use very sharp pruning shears to sever the head from the neck. By doing it this way, I have both hands available and the bird isn’t going anywhere. I hope this makes sense, if not I can find a YT video that shows how it is done.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Jean
                Student
                Topic Author

Hi Caty,  I am familiar with the cones.  Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top