Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Essential Oils Distilling herbs

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by .
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I have began experimenting with distilling herbs for essential oils. I have tried peppermint, spearmint, lavender and wintergreen. I got a little oil and a lot of lovely hydrosol. I was wondering if others have had success?

Hello Laurie, I tried distilling peppermint years ago and got very little oil. The process was fun and intriguing. You really have to have a lot of plant material. So it was not cost effective for me. I think that I’m really after the hydrosol and the wee bit of oil is a bonus then it’s worthwhile.

Cheers, Chris

4 users thanked author for this post.
      Joelle
      Student

I don’t know anything about distilling but it has been on my list to learn. Where did y’all get your knowledge from? And what is hydrosol?

Laurie Sheppard
          Student
          Topic Author

Hydrosol is the liquid you get from distilling. You remove the essential oil from the top and you are left with an amazing smelling liquid. I use mine for room/linen spray.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I purchased an Alembic still last fall, but have not yet used it.  I have planted rosemary, lavender, and chamomile in hopes of having enough plant material to begin distilling this year or next depending upon the growth of my transplants.

Hi Charlotte, I don’t know what type of still you bought but I have also been experimenting with a copper one. One thing I quickly learned was that it requires a lot of water to keep cooling down the steam in the second pot so that it can condense. After Googling around I found a solution to this problem by adding an extra 40L container with a small water pump to the system so that the water can keep recycling and you don’t use that much.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top