Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Essential Oils Distilling Yarrow

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Teresa Hull
      Student

Has anyone distilled yarrow into essential oil? Earlier this summer, I tried.  The leaves and flowers were steam distilled for about an hour.  I didn’t see any oil and definitely no blue oil.  Fantastic fail. :/

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I’ve only distilled a few oils myself. Haven’t tried yarrow.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          theJAS1963
          Student

I wish I could help you, but I am new to distilling as well.  Let me know how you do the next time. I’m interested in what your process looks like.

Steven Feil
            Student

I tried distilling some dried plant material. Nothing to speak of. I will do some fresh materials when they are again available.

Ann Agent
                Student

As I understand it, it takes a bushel of plant material to get just a few ounces of the oils. This was explained by a name-brand EO company talking about their process to grow fields of certain plants (or contracts with farmers for specific plants) and the process these harvested plants are taken through to distill the EO from the plants.  I wish you success.  My first year or two of my 10 acre property I easily had one or two bushels of Yarrow growing…. Only, I had NO CLUE how to harvest it even for using dried materials.   Now 10 yrs later, that I’m more informed, significantly less of it is growing on my property. \0/ Fresh yarrow, is so fragrant it is simply calming to my soul to be around it.

Liberty or Freedom? Know the difference!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top