Forums Herb-Talk | Archive Everything Else The Kitchen Table Downsizing/New Lifestyle

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Koch
      Student

Now that our baby birds have flown the nest, we no longer need a 1400 square ft., 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom space with a rent of $700 per month all to ourselves. Last month Mr. Fundog and I bought a travel trailer and an SUV, and we will move into it during the Thanksgiving break. The plan is to leave our stationary lives, with all its trappings behind and hit the road full time. This won’t happen until June, though.

Meanwhile, we have to start generating income streams (online businesses, preferably). One of the things I will miss most is my herb garden, and the ability to grow my own medicine. However, I do feel strongly that herbal medicine is something God wants me to do, just as taking on a nomadic lifestyle is something God wants us to do. The question is figuring out how to incorporate herbal medicine into a nomadic lifestyle.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can do that? Whether as a potential business, or as a hobby. Thanks!

My wife and I were just discussing this similar concept as well.

This is what I would do:

Buy (from us of course!)

Research what you need

Find out where it grows

Go there

Harvest

Go to the liquor store and buy what you need to preserve it

Fill in any gaps with stuff we might have in our

Michelle Koch
        Student
        Topic Author

Actually, I need to buy even more books and learn to identify wild herbs in all regions, including back east. I do enjoy imagining how fun it would be to enjoy my morning cup of tea made with herbs i harvested from the area.

I was thinking I might be able to do plant walk videos during some of our explores of the places we camp.

And I was thinking of visiting various herb shops in all the places we visit, and interview the owner/managers about the I favorite hetbs, the herbs they keep in stock, sell the most of in that area, etc.

What do you think?

Edited to add: I know this: I still have a lot to learn about herbal medicine, and this traveling thing could be a way to advance my studies!

Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

Fundog wrote: Actually, I need to buy even more books and learn to identify wild herbs in all regions, including back east. I do enjoy imagining how fun it would be to enjoy my morning cup of tea made with herbs i harvested from the area.

I was thinking I might be able to do plant walk videos during some of our explores of the places we camp.

And I was thinking of visiting various herb shops in all the places we visit, and interview the owner/managers about the I favorite hetbs, the herbs they keep in stock, sell the most of in that area, etc.

What do you think?

Edited to add: I know this: I still have a lot to learn about herbal medicine, and this traveling thing could be a way to advance my studies!

Sounds like fun. 🙂

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Michelle Koch
            Student
            Topic Author

Well we did it! On December first we officially moved out of our mobile home and into our REALLY mobile home- aka travel trailer, lol. We are still stationary until June, then we can begin our travels. I joined a couple of full time RV groups on facebook. One of those groups is called “RV Entrepreneurs.” It is specifically a business networking and advising group for nomads who want to find ways to fund their nomadic lifestyle. Anyway… I put out a query, asking if there are any clinical herbalists in the group (yep, I phrased it just like that, for a reason!). NOBODY replied, other than to express interest in the query as well! There are several people who sell essential oils– Young Living and DoTerra, mostly, but that’s not quite the same thing. This tells me the market for herbalists on the road has not been saturated– if at all, haha. That’s the good news.

Now, I just need some help figuring out how I am going to implement this idea. I don’t want to carry a lot of inventory– I simply don’t have room for more than a personal supply for myself, Mr. Fundog, and the (fun) dog. I’m thinking I am going to be taking on more of a role as a promoter for other herbalists in the areas I visit. I think this would be good for nomads who would like to visit an herbalist or herb shop on their travels, as a way to help them find good herbal services and herbal medicines. Of course, I can talk to people I meet in campgrounds and tell them what I know, and perhaps point out some native species in the area. But mostly I think I’m going to be promoting other herbalists. At first, I will need to feature herbalists and their businesses for free, until I get enough of a readership to monetize it.

Another idea I have stems from my enjoyment of gawking at people’s yards and gardens as I walk around neighborhoods. I thought perhaps town residents who have interesting gardens with lots of medicinal plants might be willing to let me interview them and take pictures of their gardens– sort of an online magazine type thing. I don’t know, maybe that idea is too big.

And I want to create a medicinal plant database to help herbalists identify medicinal plants growing wild all over North America.

What do all of you think of this idea? Is it too wacky? Is it too big? Would any of you out there be interested in granting me an interview, and being featured on my blog when I come through your areas?

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Some practitioners use our formulas and we drop ship for them. Others just send the client to the website to order on their own.

One of these days, we’ll get our muscle testing kit put together so you can just use that and then test the folks and order what they need rather than carrying a lot of inventory.

Doc

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • The forum ‘The Kitchen Table’ is closed to new topics and replies.
            Scroll to Top