Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Elderberry syrup making

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Tamra Barnes
      Student

I am new into learning about herbs. I have made a couple batches of Elderberry Syrup. First batch had a strong clove flavor, second batch less clove and much better flavor. My husband and I each take a dose daily. A few days ago, my husband thought he may have been coming down with something. I sent two doses of elderberry syrup with him to work. Then he took another dose before bed. He done that a couple of days, thankfully he didn’t come down sick.

Again, I am new at this. I have never heard of an Elderberry Tincture.  Until doing an assignment, thanks to the Forum.  What is it good for? How do you make it? Dosage?

Jean
        Student

Elderberry Tincture: “What is it good for? How do you make it? Dosage?”

Hi Tamra,  It seems to me that Elderberry syrup and Elderberry Tincture would be used for the same things.  I would prefer the tincture over the syrup just because there is no sweetener used in the tincture.  Basically you pour vodka over the dried berries, put in a dark place for 2-6 weeks and shake everyday. Then strain after the time is up.  (If using fresh berries you would use everclear instead of vodka.)

Elizabeth
          Student

Hi Jean, would you do the the same ratio of berries to alcohol like you would with herbs to alcohol  (1:5) ? Also can you use vodka for dried elderberries ?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Oh, what peace we often forfeit, Oh, what needless pain we bear,
            All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer!

Jean
              Student

Hi Elizabeth, I am going to be making elderberry tincture today.  I will be using vodka with dried berries. I am actually wondering if Doc. Jones ever uses powdered elderberries. He has a kit in his store. I am wondering if he does anything different.  I will try the 1:5 ratio today.  I kind of doubt it is going to work, but, worth a try.  Will let you know what happens!

Jean
              Student

You would use everclear for fresh berries.

Elizabeth
                Student

Thank you very much Jean ! I have whole dried elderberries right now but I guess I could grind them up into powder if whole berries don’t work.

Jean
                  Student

BTW: Normally, one would not powder Elderberries to tincture them.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Jean
                    Student

Elizabeth, DO use the whole dried berries.

Elizabeth
                      Student

Okay sounds good ! Thanks Jean for your quick replies and your input 💕 Much appreciated !

Jean
                          Student

Shew!  I am glad you didnt powder your berries!!!

Elizabeth
                          Student

Don’t worry, I wasn’t going too till I heard back from you 🙂

Jean
                            Student

According to the 1:5 ratio:

50 grams of dried berries would require 250 ml of vodka.

I put 100 ml’s of vodka in the 50 grams of dried berries and it was more then enough alcohol. (so, less then the 1:5 ratio)

However, tomorrow could be a different story once the berries absorb some liquid.

Elizabeth
                              Student

Okay good to know! Thanks for the info.

Jean
                                Student

Ok, the berries are absorbing the alcohol.  I am going to go with the full 250 ml.’s of vodka.  Will see what tomorrow brings.

Jean
                                  Student

For informational purposes only: I found some old powdered elderberries in my stash.  So, I looked up the product on the company’s page.  They mentioned that the powdered elderberries can by used in making syrups, tinctures, wine, cordials etc.  They were of the Sambucus ebulus variety.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Jean.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Student

Interesting. How does your elderberry tincture look today ? I read that whether fresh or dried, chopping up the elderberries exposes more surface area — which means that more alcohol-soluble compounds will be extracted. Do you think I should chop up my elderberries ?

Jean
                                      Student

“I read that whether fresh or dried, chopping up the elderberries exposes more surface area”

Morning Elizabeth,  The above is why I wondered if Doctor Jones has one powder the berry’s in his Elderberry kit.

I just checked the jar of elderberries and vodka that I mixed up last night and there is plenty of extra fluid.  So, next time I would just cover the berries with enough vodka to cover the berries by 1/4″ and check everyday to see if the berries absorb the excess vodka.

As to your question, yes, I would chop them up a bit to expose more surface area.

Batch two I will chop.

Batch three I will powder.  (I may use the old bought elderberries that came powdered)

Elizabeth
                                          Student

Good Morning Jean, so just to clarify ,would you do the 50g of elderberries and 250ml of vodka (plus 1/4 ” to cover the berries) to make the tincture ? Thanks for all your help and support !

Jean
                                              Student

Morning Elizabeth,

It looks like the 50g/250ml is too much alcohol, but, time will tell.

I would not do the 50g/250ml next time around.  I would just put in enough vodka to cover the berries 1/4″ and keep an eye on it. (adding more as necessary)

Jean
                                            Student

Elderberry syrup making

HomeGrownHerbalist’s video on making tinctures.

I am sure there is much more in the class info. about everything we are doing here.  It may take me some time to find the exact info needed.

Elizabeth
                                              Student

Hello Jean !

Just wondering how your elderberry tincture worked out and if you would recommend making it ? It is cold and flue season here so I am wanting to stock up on some tinctures and thought making an elderberry tincture would be handy 🙂

Jean
                                                  Student

Hi Elizabeth,  If I didnt have an elderberry tincture made during cold and flu season, I would A.)  measure a teaspoon of elderberry seeds out and pour 8 oz. of just boiled water over them and let them steep till tea is drinkable temperature wise.  While drinking that tea, I would B.) look on line for an elderberry syrup recipe that has the least amount of sweetener in it.  (I think you can add 2 Tablespoons of vodka per cup of finished syrup to help it last longer.) Otherwise, If your not going to use the homemade syrup up within a month, I would freeze the elderberry syrup in small batches so you can take out a small amount at a time and use it up.  And C.) I would start a tincture asap so you have it after your syrup has been used up. With tinctures, you do not have to worry about them going bad. (but, you do want to store them in a dark,a cool and dry location (in an amber bottle would be best)

Thank you for reminding me to go upstairs and shake all of my homemade tinctures (including the elderberry one) I did bring the elderberry tincture down, but, cant open it because its a little sticky and so the cover is stuck for the time being. Otherwise, I’d open it and strain the berries out right now.

Remember that Elderberry works as a preventative, so you want to take it before getting sick or at the onset of getting sick.  Once your lungs fill up with fluids (if that were to happen) you want to move on to something else.  Elderberry works in the beginning of an issue by stopping the viruses from replicating.  See the video in the link below.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Jean.
                                                      Elizabeth
                                                      Student

Thank you Jean for all the advice ! I will be making an elderberry tincture this week and also plan to make some syrup as well 🙂

Jean
                                                    Student

Elder, Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)

Here you go Elizabeth!

The third part shows how to make elderberry syrup!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Jean.
                                                      Jean
                                                      Student

How to Make a Tincture Using the Ratio Method

How to make a tincture

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    Scroll to Top