Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Essential Oils Essential Oils and Tinctures

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Renee Harrell
      Student

Can you add essential oils to tinctures?  If so, are there some that you shouldn’t add or add to?  Also what would be the ratio of oils to tinctures?

Roxanne Krohn
        Student

Do you need a carrier oil to use essential oils? Are some safe to use straight on the skin? Would this be a case by case situation? I understand I have much to learn, that is why I am here. Thank you for your replies.

Peggy Christy
            Student

Most people will tell you that you must use a carrier oil because a pure essential oil would burn your skin or you would have some adverse reaction to it. I use good quality oils and I rarely use a carrier oil and have no adverse reactions. Maybe I have tough old lady skin. I do use a carrier oil when applying on young children. So, my answer is use caution. A drop or two okay, but don’t bathe in them.

Pamela Acker
              Student

I’ve found Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals to be a wealth of information re: which ways particular oils can safely be applied.

Kind of wish I had found it before I accidentally sensitized myself to eucalyptus oil.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Thank you for the book tip.  I will add it to my list of books to get.  Lisa

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Patrice Bayer
                  Student

Thanks for the info on the book!

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I’ve been looking for a good reference and will check it out.

I have work with Essential oils a fair amount, and it is a good idea to use a carrier oil. Some oil can be used safety without a carrier oil, but the carrier oil not only protects the skin. It also holds the essential oil on the skin so it will be absorb, and not evaporate off to fast. As  for the answer to the question, “Can you mix essential oils and tinctures”. So much of our knowledge about Essential oils and health care started in France. There is a lot of history from W.W. 2, about mixing oils and tinctures in the field hospitals of France in the war. There was a M.D. from France who would come to U.S.A. and taught about blending oils and tinctures. I always liked to take his classes before he retired.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Thanks for the idea on the book. I will be looking into it.

I’ve found Tisserand’s Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals to be a wealth of information re: which ways particular oils can safely be applied.

Kind of wish I had found it before I accidentally sensitized myself to eucalyptus oil.

thank you for the information.  That is one book I will be sure to get

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Scroll to Top