Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies eye soothing plants

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Annett
      Student

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>When the body’s histamine response is going nuts the eyes itch and water a lot. Is there a plant, that I could make eye drops with that would be safe to put into the eye to counter these symptoms while I’m getting the histamine response under control?</span>

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Harmony
        Student

I use a cool tea of nettle. It’s a great anti-histamine.

Hope this helps!

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Annett
          Student
          Topic Author

Harmony,

Do you put it in the eye?

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Brigham tea orally is a good fix. Chamomile tea or plantain tea (or both) in the eye might make things less irritated too. See the Chamomile module.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                Annett
                Student
                Topic Author

I tried a chamomile infusion, strained very well, and it irritated my eyes and made them itch more. Would this be a sign of allergy to chamomile?  Or just angry eyes?:/

Annett
                Student
                Topic Author

Thanks Doc,

Changing the subject a bit:

If I don’t have access to Brigham Tea, what is another really good antihistamine?

Could I mix goldenrod and elder flowers for that?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                    Homestead Instructor

I haven’t used either of those in the eye so can’t say. They’d both be good internally.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Annett
                        Student
                        Topic Author

Doc, If using plantain for the eyes, could I make a hot tea and let it cool? Or would the properties needed to soothe the eye be lost in the heat? (I know that typically plantain doesn’t like to be heated.)

Dr. Patrick Jones
                            Homestead Instructor

As long as you don’t boil the herbs it won’t suffer too much. Or, you could do a cold infusion.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                          Homestead Instructor

Nettles is a great antihistamine.

CarolAnn
                          Student

What about dry eye?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

Chamomile and plantain soothe that too.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                Linda Lach
                                Student

just wanted to say thank you for this question, it is something I have struggled with for years!!! I’ll be trying Doc’s reply!

<sub>Doc, is there a protocol for maintaining or reversing the blisters on the fuch’s dystrophy?  I’m 71 yrs old, chemical sensitive and after human tissue implant will have to use prednisolone for the rest of my life.  Also have cataracts.  They suggest surgery in the next four months or go blind I was told.  I’m able to drive, read, etc. it’s just somewhat blurry.  </sub>

Peggy
                                Student

How to decide between the Eyebright Tincture and the Eye Support Tincture?

Annett
                                    Student
                                    Topic Author

I’d also like to know the difference between these two and how to choose. Thanks for asking this question.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                      Homestead Instructor

Eyebright is a single plant. Eye Support is a formula that contains that plant and a few others.

Annett
                                          Student
                                          Topic Author

Sorry, I meant when to use just eyebright and when the formula would be more useful.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                              Homestead Instructor

The formula is broader spectrum and a better choice.

For cataracts and Fuch’s dystrophy I ordered the Eye Support for internal use but I am using, at the moment, Eyebright Plus a Dr. Christopher formula internally and a few drops in an eye cup diluted with pure water 3 x’s a day for five minutes is the recommendation.  I also use a drop of castor oil on the eyelids at night.  I don’t know if it will reverse anything but I will try to keep all the parts God gave me!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                            Homestead Instructor

HOpe it helps Sandra. :0)

ann peschges
                                              Student

Sandra, my brother is dealing with this  issue.  Could you please let us know if you have success with your protocol?  Thank you!

I have always wondered about herbs and if they can be used in the eyes. I enjoyed reading this thread, it was informative and stoked my curiosity about it even more. Thank you guys!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          Scroll to Top