Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs formulas for hypertension

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Karel Womack
      Student

Hi,

I have been trying to stop my high blood pressure meds (working with my Doc) but the tincture formula for circulatory support does not seem to be helpful to me.  Doc Jones you mentioned having another formula that you used for your wife.  Are you able to share that or have any suggestions.

Thank you so much!

Karel

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

High blood pressure can hav a number of complex, inter-related causes. Sometimes herbs or meds can fix it and sometimes they can’t.

Here’s the formula I use on pregnant women. It is often very effective (even for non-pregnant people)

Blood Pressure Pregnant

6 Hawthorn

2 Linden

1 Dandelion Leaf

2 Astragalus

1 Cramp Bark

1 Valerian

Also…

There’s a new really excellent new lesson on Hypertension done by LoriAnn (my smart wife).

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Tammy Priolo
            Student

My husband is drinking Hawthorn tea

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Shari Hanssen
              Student

I have always had high blood pressure and am now trying a similar formula to lower it – will keep you posted on any improvements

Kim
                  Kim
                  Student

Has the formula helped with your high blood pressure? How long did it take to see any results? I just got my son in law started on one; it’s only been a few days. I’ve read that Hawthorn takes some time, but wondering about the Cayenne. Thank you for any information you’re willing to share.

Paige
                Student

Hi Karel,

I am not sure what age you might be, but have you considered that it may be hormone related?  I had a wacky, perfect storm happen to me because I got exposed a toxic level of mold.  My blood pressure was a mess and I had always had a nice low one.  Turns out my iodine level was off and it affected ALL of my hormones.  Might be worth a look see.  Certainly would look into nutritive herbs.

Hope this helps.

PMR

Sharon
                  Student

Hi guys, new student here and I thought I would chime in with something that has really helped my hubby’s high blood pressure that his doctor wanted to put him on meds for (and we were having no part of that!).  We had read a good book on cayenne pepper and the many amazing things it can do, so he decided to give it a go.  He worked up to 1/4 tsp of 110 or more heat unit powder, mixed in some water or juice.  I tried it for quite a while, but I just can’t handle that hot stuff – but I digress.  Anyway, sometime around the 4th week (give or take), his blood pressure started dropping!  If he skips it for a couple of days it will creep back up, but it works for whatever is causing his BP issues.  Cayenne is good for circulation, so perhaps that was what was making the pressure high to start with.  Who knows, but it is a cheap and easy fix (for him anyway)!  Hope this might help someone else.  I’m sure adding other herbs in with it would make it more effective, and I’m sure Doc Jones would have some great ideas on that part!

3 users thanked author for this post.
                      Dr. Patrick Jones
                      Homestead Instructor

Cayenne markedly increases the elasticity of the blood vessels. So as pressure increases or drops the vessels can stretch or contract more to correct it. As a result, it can be helpful for either high or low blood pressure issues. The only disadvantage to cayenne is that some people can’t take much of it…you know…because they have a tongue. LOL

The good news is that for blood pressure, cayenne in a capsule still works well.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

7 users thanked author for this post.
                          Sharon
                          Student

LOL!!  Yes, that’s my problem – my tongue doesn’t care for it at all!  I have heard (and maybe you want to weigh in on it), that if you take a capsule of cayenne on an empty stomach, when the stomach acid dissolves the capsule, you’ll be on the floor clutching your stomach moaning.  They said it’s because if it goes over your tongue, that sends a message to your stomach warning it what is coming, but the dissolved capsule didn’t get that warning because it “skipped” the tongue’s message to the stomach.  Not sure of the veracity of this, but personally, I have no desire to test the premise just so I know!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                              Homestead Instructor

There are very few herbs one can take on an empty stomach and not be sorry later. Food is your friend. :0)

Hubby found this with the cayenne capsules, I can’t remember how he took them in relation to food, maybe he took them on an empty stomach, but they gave him a belly ache.

Barb Roth
                                    Student

Cayenne is a tough one to take.  Always take with food.  With the first capsule I took, as soon as it hit my empty stomach, it was ready to come back up.  :(. I am going to try again, making certain I take in on a full stomach.

This is a very helpful thread! My partner has high blood pressure, and he just started taking the Circulatory Support – we will see how it goes!  One question I had is what is the range of acceptable  blood pressure, or what is considered “high” blood pressure?  It seems to me that back in the day, 120/80 and thereabouts was acceptable, but lately we have run into multiple doctors talking about wanting the low number under 80, and pushing meds.  By contrast, our chiropractor of many years thought 140/90 was fine!

Tammy Priolo
                                  Student

Yes I could never take cayenne this way.  I would suffer terribly.

Anna Eddy
                                    Student

Hi Erika! I’m a nurse and am asked this questions a lot and as much as I hate to say it, it depends on the person, really. Generally speaking, I like my patients to be as close to 120/80 as possible, but with the older population, anything under 140/90 is the goal and is totally acceptable to most medical professionals.

Dasyree20
                                    Student

Thank You Super Much For The Information And Advice Thats Pretty Cool What Cayenne Can Do For High Blood Pressure Didn’t Know That Intil Hearing About Mr. Patrick Jones. I Have A Family Member That High Blood Pressure I’ll Definitely Tell Them About It.

Karel Womack
                                  Student
                                  Topic Author

Hello!
                                    thank you for the input of hypertension. I’m still working on an herbal treatment and will report after a month or two!
                                    thank you,

Karel

Sharon
                                    Student

I look forward to hearing the update – always open to new ideas since we all seem to have hypertension for a myriad of reasons!  I wish you the very best on your journey with the blood pressure 🙂

Sharon

Just started my hubby on cayenne for his blood pressure…curious what sort of dose you would need to see a blood pressure lowering effect? I started with 1/8th tsp in a glass of warm water and he hit the roof haha. Gulped down half and then raced round the house and didn’t know where to put himself for awhile :-p He’s not too fond of this one, so thinking maybe capsules might be better, (again, what dose, assume I can make my own)  However I’m sure I heard said that you needed to ‘taste the hot’ for it to be effective…

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                        Homestead Instructor

You need to feel the burn for many of cayenne’s functions but not for blood pressure. Capsules are fine for that one. :0)

Teresa Hull
                                            Student

I’ve started taking Cayenne capsules for HBP. Two 500 mg capsules three times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner).  It works great!  The blood pressure drops soon after the Cayenne is consumed, and then it starts to creep up before the next meal.  By the time morning comes, it peaks again.  My question is what is the recommended frequency and number of capsules (or mg) for HBP?

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                          Homestead Instructor

2-3 capsules 2-3 times a day is a good starting point. Monitor your response an go from there.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                                            Kathaleen
                                            Student

Dr. Jones, can a person be on Lisinopril, and take it safely with the Circulatory Support? This person is on the highest dose of it and their blood pressure is going up.  Thank you in advance for your response.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                Homestead Instructor

I don’t combine blood pressure meds with blood pressure herbs unless the case is being carefully monitored. Cayenne is fine, but some of the other blood pressure herbs can add too much dilation or relaxation if added to meds. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                  Homestead Instructor

I don’t combine blood pressure meds with blood pressure herbs unless the case is being carefully monitored. Cayenne is fine, but some of the other blood pressure herbs can add too much dilation or relaxation if added to meds. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Kathaleen
                                                      Student

Thank you, Dr. Jones.  I appreciate your response.  I will pass this information along to this person.

Teresa Fields
                                                    Student

I didn’t want to take blood pressure meds and I am thanking the Lord that my blood pressure has been much better. I started taking unfortified nutritional yeast and cutting back on processed carbs.

This is interesting Teresa, my husband also started cutting back on carbs and drinking more water and this seems to have had a lowering effect on his blood pressure which is great! He also was taking hawthorn capsules for awhile, but has since stopped and the lower bp has remained…

Jane Melonas
                                                      Student

Hi Everyone, This is so interesting and Im loving this forum!

Blood Pressure issues are so common these days. I had an experience with BP when I found out my kidneys were struggling. It was from almalgam (mercury) in my teeth.  I found that Olive Leaf helped me get my BP down very quickly. At one point it was 210 over 100. ugh! Olive Leaf brought it down in 15 minutes. (I have used with other people too).  My root cause was a predisposition for kidney weakness and the mercury was building up. Once I removed it and detoxed the heavy metals my BP stabalized on its own. Heavy metals could be a root cause.

Just a thought. Again, the root cause has to be determined.

Jane

Paige
                                                          Student

Hi Jane,

What did you use to detox with?  I had to detox from a toxic mold exposure, which unfortunately ended up causing thyroid problems.  Aside from eating mostly greens in the early stages, it took me a while before I found an alternative health doctor that steps her toe into herbs.  I later found out that both parsley and cilantro were helpful.

PMR

What would be the best way to consume cayenne for optimal use of all its properties. My Dad has high blood pressure so he’s going to try that by putting it in capsules. But since he has ankle issues I was wanting it to help with inflammation and maybe weight loss. I know the capsules are fine for the BP but not sure if it would effect his other needs if put in a capsule.

Sly
                                                          Student

I dont know if any one mentioned it, but I used to take Cool Cayenne by Solaray. It really does feel cooler on the stomach.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                            Homestead Instructor

There’s a new really excellent lesson on Hypertension done by LoriAnn (my smart wife).

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)

When I first signed up for the Homegrown Herbalist School, I went straight to the search function and typed in hypertension for a family member who asked about herbs to take for lowering bp.  I’m always cautious of suggesting herbs when individuals are on medication or if you don’t know if they are on medication, because of contraindications.  Thanks for all the great info in your wife’s course on hypertension.  I used to teach Anatomy and Physiology and I learned a lot more than I previously knew even about anatomy & physiology.  It was a great and in depth intro to the course!

Laura Viau
                                                                Student

That is an excellent lesson on hypertension!  Enjoyed it very much.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            Scroll to Top