Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Garlic varieties for formulas and tinctures

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

This question is for you Doc Jones.  I have planted several varieties of garlic this fall for summer harvesting.  The question for you is about the varieties.  Are they all medicinally the same?

Some are them are mild, some are hot and spicy, one even is supposed to have a lemon flavor – but for the sake of making tinctures – does it matter?

And for your formulas – we should mince and dry it first before adding to a formula, right?  Thanks as always!  You are such a knowledgeable and kind person to share so much knowledge with all of us!

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Sharon
        Student
        Topic Author

Sorry, I also meant to ask if there is a way to effectively use fresh garlic with a herb powder blend (where garlic is the only fresh item).  How would that change the alcohol ratio?  Are there other factors to consider with this fresh/powder combination I need to know about?  Thanks!

I don’t know the answer to your question regarding the types of garlic, but I would personally dehydrate the garlic before tincturing it. If you don’t already have a dehydrator, my main recommendation is to get one with a temperature settings option. The ones without it are set at a very high temperature (typically around 160 degrees Fahrenheit) and aren’t good for dehydrating herbs. You don’t need to get an expensive one. As long as you can set it at a low temperature, it will work well for you.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Sharon
              Student
              Topic Author

Thanks Rebecca – I do have a good Excalibur dehydrator and it gets used a lot.  It will go as low as 95 degrees and that’s where I dry almost everything.  Happy drying to you!

Sharon, Excalibur dehydrators have a great reputation!

Lisa Bateman
            Student

I remember reading that elephant garlic is less strong than regular garlic.

Lisa Bateman

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top