Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Grinding Seeds – Best Tool to Grind?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue S
      Student

Hello 🙂

I want to have a grinder around for grinding things like flax seed and milk thistle seeds.  I don’t need to grind a lot at a time so the vitamix doesn’t make sense.  I’d grind fresh like you would with pepper.

Has anyone used a pepper grinder to accomplish this?  I have one that dials from very fine to more coarse that I use for grinding black pepper.  I’d buy another one for the seeds if it would work.

Anyone had any experience grinding flax or milk thistle seeds?  Please let me know what you use and if you think the pepper grinder would do the job.

Thanks 🙂

“It is not that I'm so smart. But I stay with the questions much longer.”
        ― Albert Einstein

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by Sue S.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dennis Bowen
        Student

I use a small nutribullet personal blender $58 on Amazon, I’ve also used a mortar and pestle but it takes a lot longer

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Sue S
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks for the reply.  Did you have any issues with the seeds being “sticky” or did they powder well?

“It is not that I'm so smart. But I stay with the questions much longer.”
              ― Albert Einstein

Dennis Bowen
            Student

No, I didn’t have any problems with milk thistle seeds. I haven’t tried flax seeds. I don’t grind them to a powder. I just break them up good to make tinctures

Would a mortar and pestle work maybe?

Dennis Bowen
              Student

Yes a mortar and pestle will work, it takes awhile and is a lot of work. I use a rough stone one, granite I think

Dona Thompson
                Student

I have used an electric coffee grinder for small amounts of dried herbs.

Dalia Smith
                  Student

I grind flax seed in small single serving amounts in my Magic Bullet with the flat blade. It works great. Not sticky at all, and it’s finely ground in an instant. The flax seeds are so hard that they keep well for a long time, so I have fresh viable nutrition when I grind it as I need it. I have used a hand grinder for other herb seeds for seasonings. I’ve never tried harder seeds like flax. I’ve also crushed dried herbs in a hand grinder.

I’ve never used a mortar and pestle. I would like to get one, but what are the advantages of using one. How is the quality of the finished product different?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Scroll to Top