Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Annett
      Student

Has anyone tried growing Witch Hazel in Idaho? The internet says it’ll grow in zones 3 to 9, so I was wondering if it’s easy to grow or not. I tend to need the easy-to-grow plants.

I had a free plant given to me several years ago. It did not live long though. I think it may have been many cultural factors that did it in including my wife not being able to keep it adequately watered during the time right after putting it into the ground.

Annett
        Student
        Topic Author

Thinking of astringents, what is a good (and nicely smelling) replacement for witch hazel? Is rose as good an astringent? Any other ideas?

Dr. Patrick Jones
          Homestead Instructor

Sage, Russian sage, potentilla, cranesbill….

What are you trying to astringe*?

Doc

* I realize that “astringe” probably isn’t a word but it should be.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Annett
            Student
            Topic Author

The face. I was thinking it would be a nice idea to make my own face toner with a tea of an astringent herb, instead of buying one. And rose smells so nice, I wondered if it would do the trick. (Most recipes, I’ve found, call for witch hazel.)

Pick one that you like the scent of and give it a try.

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Herb Cultivation/Gardening/Wildcrafting’ is closed to new topics and replies.
          Scroll to Top