Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Helpful herbs for SIBO?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all, having a range of wonderful plant medicines at our disposal, has anyone had any success getting rid of SIBO?

Greg Boggs
      Student

One of my good friends dealt with SIBO in a bad way for a while, I believe what helped him was taking stomach acid supplements, after 3 months his doctor said his progress was a “miracle”

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Lisa Bateman
        Student

How does one know they have SIBO?

Lisa Bateman

Jean
            Student

Hi Lisa,

Your in a lot of pain, like, bending over pain, holding on to your gut. Thinking your gut is going to burst open.  Charcoal worked really well for me. So well that I could not stop using it long enough to have a SIBO breath test.  (Which was not always accurate for me) This brings back memories!  Will try to remember more as I can.  People are usually on a GAPS diet with SIBO.  I tried that.  However, one of the foods allowed was problematic for me.  So, I had to go by listening to my own body.  Oh!  and you can look 6 months pregnant if you eat the wrong foods.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Jean.
              Jean
              Student

I believe the ileocecal valve opens when it should be closed.  This allows bacteria to get into the small intestines (where it should not be)

Dawn
              Student

A Dr came up with a new yogurt process to create a lot of Lactobacillus reuteri that he says is very effective against SIBO and IBS …

“L. reuteri is very unique compared to most bacteria that live in the six-foot-long colon. L. reuteri prefers to colonize the upper gastrointestinal tract (in the stomach, duodenum, jejunum, and ileum) which is ~23 feet long. While it takes residence in the upper GI tract, it produces natural antibiotics called bacteriocins that are very effective against undesirable bacteria species that live in the small intestine that can cause SIBO. …”, Dr. William Davis, MD

I recently was researching herbs on pub med and read SIBO on what of them, but I can’t remember which herb and I can’t find it in my saved papers when searching. If I find it again, I will send you a new reply. All that being said, yes, I have seen it discussed as a promising treatment for SIBO but I encourage you to search pub med for the herb(s). Sorry I can’t be more helpful at this time. Best of Luck!

Jean
                Student

Hi Dawn, I do remember reading something about “reuteri” somewhere (that is was really good) but, that is all I can remember now.  Maybe it will come back to me.  Thank you very much!

Dawn
                  Student

Here are some herbs that you should research for SIBO use/efficacy, they were suggested by Dr Claire Lockridge, ND:

Berberine

Berberine is a compound that is derived from plants, including Oregaon grape, phellodendron and goldenseal. Berberine has been shown to have antimicrobial properties that have been shown to inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria involved in SIBO.

Oil of Oregano

Oregano oil contains compounds that have been shown to have antimicrobial properties and can be helpful in SIBO.

Garlic

Allicin, a compound found in garlic, has been shown to have antimicrobial properties. The antimicrobial properties in garlic are thought to be due to its ability to interfere with the integrity of microbial cell membranes, inhibition of enzymes and disruption of the metabolic process of this microorganism. All of these mechanisms contribute to garlic’s broad-spectrum antimicrobial action.

Jean
                    Student

Morning Dawn,

Yes, I have used Berberine, Oil of Oregano and garlic.

I also found a large container of “Reuteri” in my stash.

I also have used digestive aids, as, Greg has pointed out.  Standard Process Zypan worked great for meals with protein in them, otherwise, Multizyme could be used for non-protein meals.

Jean
                      Student

Going through the class info and coming across formula’s no longer made, like IE: “Stomach Calm” was a great find.  It has Oregon Grape in it.  However, I could not find my bag of un-opened c/s Oregon Grape .  I found instead, an un-opened bottle of goldenseal glycerite.  I dont usually use glycerites because of their sweetness, but, goldenseal would be hard to take all by itself.  So, I made the “Stomach Calm” without the Oregon Grape (you powder 2 parts Parsley leaf + 2 parts Peppermint + 1 part marshmallow + 1/2 part Oregon Grape. (I am experimenting with Marshmallow leaf vs Marshmallow root) Remember, my first batch did not have Oregon Grape in it. Anyway, by taking the powdered herbs and the goldenseal glycerite I was able to fix the stomach infections immediately that I get from drinking most teas or eating things like “left overs” (high in histamines) Nothing had worked for decades (except eating LOTS of crystalized ginger (with the sugar rubbed off)

Strange thing though, after finding my Oregon Grape, powdering it, and adding it to the parsley/peppermint/marshmallow mixture, it didnt work as good or as fast as when I was using the goldenseal glycerite.  So, I will tincture the Oregon Grape and try that instead.

But, I learned that mixing the full powdered recipe with honey and making an (I think it is called an electionary) worked better then taking the powdered herbs with water.

So, I guess I will have to experiment with this more. I actually do have some old goldenseal powder to use up (was saved for poison ivy plasters) so, I could see if  that makes a difference as well.

I am learning that I need to use my dry herbs up within a years time.  That is going to be a challenge.  But, I like the idea of “out with the old and in with the new!” Starting in March.

Jean
                        Student

Daniela, To answer your question with a non-herb standpoint.   De-stress your life to the point that you might be able to start healing.  It is a work in progress and a very difficult path at times.  It is a personal growth thing. You are a valuable person.

chuski
                          Student
                            • Ficus Benghalensis
                            • Terminalia chebula
                            • Myrobalan
                            • Piper Cubeba

Use these herbs.

Jean
                            Student

I know that chocolate plays a part in SIBO, but, I do not know how or why yet.  I just know that in the past it has caused skin infections to suddenly appear. I just found confirmation elsewhere that chocolate is a huge no-no if one has SIBO.  Interesting!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Scroll to Top