Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Henbit uses (I’m overrun….why not?)

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ron Thompson
      Student

This time of year (Mid March) in Kentucky, I am over run with Henbit.  Little sucker grows everywhere I don’t want it to, so why not put it to use?  Doing some basic research, it appears to have multiple uses from Anti-inflammatory, Anti Viral, Anti Oxidant, Anti-spasmotic, Astringent properties. Proliferative, cytotoxicity etc.   I also read it was used for paralysis…… Kinda got my mind going on that one.  What about this plant would have that benefit?   There were multiple scientific ways of preparing it.  I’d like to know if anyone uses this plant, if so how, and what benefits have been found by personal use?  Can it be picked, dehydrated and make a tincture out of it?  Thanks in advance for expanding my knowledge.  Ron

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) is a member of the mint family (Lamiaceae). It does have some properties consistent with its cousins (anti0xidant, anti-inflammatory, mild sedative, etc…). It’s also good to eat on your salads as a nutritive. I’ve never used it for medicine.

Whenever I find a plant that is wildly common and closely related to other medicinals that has very little history of use, I wonder if it just isn’t as strong or good as the other kids. That said, I’ve found a few herbs and uses for herbs in my life that no one else was really talking about that were amazingly effective (Teasel for MS, h0ps topically for pain, pine needle topically for pain, Russian olive leaf as an anti-inflammatory, etc…) so it might be worth playing with. We have no shortage of it here in Idaho either. Maybe it’s trying to tell us something.  LOL

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top