Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Veterinary Herbology Herbs for daily use with dogs

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Herb Thyme
      Student

Hi, any suggestions for daily herbs for dogs general health? As humans, there are certain things I like to take each day and wondering if others have a daily regime for their pups.

Currently, we use 1/4 tsp of Docs Immunity Support, 1/4 tsp elderberry syrup, the occasional 1/4 clove of fermented  garlic, and just started giving him a little hawthorn berry too (for heart health).

Jean
        Student

Hi There, I cant answer your question exactly, but, I am thinking of sending a friend some Nutritive Powder for her Great Dane that she is planning on breeding in Spring.  I would think it would cover all bases in a general way.  There is way to much to chose from.

Greg Boggs
          Student

I would be careful about giving the dog garlic, their livers don’t process it the same way humans do. Check out slide 7 in this lesson for a list of herbs that are potentially toxic to pets

Veterinary Herbalism: Principles & Interventions

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Dawn
            Student

Hello Herb Thyme 🙂

It’s true that onions are toxic to dogs and garlic is of the same family but somewhere in Doc’s lessons you will find that they are not of the same toxicity. Many natural practitioners suggest garlic with meals in small measured amounts to help with fleas (works on some but not all). The caveat is that it can cause anemia and, in the case of onions, it destroys the red blood cells causing hemolytic anemia. Yes, very bad. That being said I think you will find all the information that you are looking for in your post in Doc’s new Veterinary Herbalism module. Slides regarding daily/nutritional herbal tonic as well as slides of herbs that are used for certain circumstances like immunity support, bug buster, and anti fungal (all containing garlic as one of the herbs). Hope this is helpful; Best always!

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top