• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      chuski
      Student

Hello Guys, I am still learning.

In a Tincture bottle it’s written Herb Strength is 1:4

Does this mean that 80% is Alcohol and 20% is herb?

Please help me in understanding this.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Greg Boggs
        Student

Yes, it means 1 part herb and 4 parts alcohol. So if you have 100 grams of herbs, you’d want 400 grams of alcohol (usually vodka or everclear)

4 users thanked author for this post.
            chuski
            Student
            Topic Author

Thank you for your reply 🙂

The ratios written 1:4, 1:5, or 1:10 are herb to menstruum for example 1 part herb to 4 parts alcohol.  What you are asking about in the 80 and 20% is about the alcohol/water ratio within the menstruum.  Some herbs extract better at 40% water/60% alcohol or 20% water/80% alcohol, etc.  Most people just buy everclear and go 50/50 but if you get into the research some herbs extract better with more alcohol and some with more water.  There are lots of variances and lots of math…hard math so as a beginner you may not care to go into that detail.

3 users thanked author for this post.
              Sharon
              Student

Kristin – do you have a source for the “better” dilution numbers for different herbs?  I’ve just been doing as Doc mentioned and using 40% for almost everything – unless it’s fresh, then I use everclear or dry the herbs first then use 40%.  Thanks in advance.

Lisa Bateman
                  Student

Hoffmann’s Medical Herbalism and Fisher’s Materia Medica of Western Herbs both indicate percentages of alcohol and ratios of herb to menstrum suggested by herb. For example, Hoffmann writes that Chasteberry (Vitex.agnus-castus) is best 1:5 in 60% ethanol (40% water) mix. Ginger is said to be best at 1:5 in 40%.

Lisa Bateman

Dalia Smith
                Student

I was wondering the same question, thanks for asking. I’m learning about things I never thought of before, as well. Where do you get your information about the extract percentages?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Dalia Smith.
                  Elizabeth
                  Student

Hello !

I was just curious about how long a tincture  needs to sit and cure until it is ready ? Is 2 weeks the earliest you can use it or is there some tinctures that require less time?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Oh, what peace we often forfeit, Oh, what needless pain we bear,
                    All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer!

Greg Boggs
                      Student

Almost all of the herb books you come across will say give it 4 weeks before the tincture is ready, Doc says you only need 2 weeks and it could potentially be done in 1 week. I would still err on doing 2 weeks though

2 users thanked author for this post.
                  Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Scroll to Top