Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Herbs & Their Classifications List

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Greg Boggs
      Student

Hello everyone!

I’ve made a Google Sheet that I’d like to share with everyone here in the school. I made a big spreadsheet of every herb that is listed in Doc’s Lesson: Learning the Lingo, as well as his list of Pregnancy and Lactation Safety List.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nPjVl7knPXk816LDxJsh8sh7CXE_G9UWY8UtgSO16PM/edit?usp=sharing

I added a note to every herb with their Latin names in those lessons that had them (so not every herb has that note) and I added a note to every term with it’s definition so you can see what everything means.

The neat thing with this spreadsheet is if you want to see every herb listed that is an Adaptogen, for example, all you have to do is go to the Adaptogen column (column B in the spreadsheet) and click on the drop down arrow near the right side of the column (or right click on the column), then click the button that says Sort Column A to Z, and then voila, it will bring all herbs listed as an Adaptogen straight to the top of the spreadsheet!

This took me quite a few hours to put everything together, so if you find any mistakes please let me know! I want this to be as accurate as it can be.

I hope you find this to be a help for you!

Total of 20 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 10 listed.
        HGH I.T.
        Homestead Instructor

This is very cool!! Would you mind very much if I use this data to display it all in a dropdown form for easier access/legibility?

4 users thanked author for this post.
            Greg Boggs
            Student
            Topic Author

Yeah absolutely! And if you want to discuss any of the details on it, feel free to send me an email

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Joelle
            Student

This represents so much work! I love making and using spreadsheets and the like. It so helps me organize info in readily usable ways.

Lisa Bateman
              Student

Such a blessing! Thank you.

Lisa Bateman

LAURA SCHWER
                Student

Thank you for  all your hard work!

HGH I.T.
                  Homestead Instructor

So,
                    many hours later…

I’ve been playing with the data, and I’ve written up a program to parse it into a Json format and have created a user interface to serve the data.

you can see the early beta version here: (NOTE: super-duper definitely not a final product, just a proof of concept for now)

Herbal Actions

3 users thanked author for this post.
                    HGH I.T.
                    Homestead Instructor

Update:

Fixed a ton of bugs, added some new features and functionality and refined the UI a bit to make it easier to use!

Herbal Actions

2 users thanked author for this post.
                        Greg Boggs
                        Student
                        Topic Author

This is looking great!

Greg Boggs
                          Student
                          Topic Author

One idea I had that could be a benefit is when you click on one of the herbal actions for it to include the definition of the action as well. I know I’m getting a lot more comfortable with what the different actions mean, but there are still a few that make me pause and have to look them up

Dawn
                            Student

Hello, I tried clicking on Herbal Actions a few times and I tried searching the term but I can’t find the file that you have created. Can you help me?

(I finished the course months ago but periodically need to watch new additions to recertify but now I can’t find what is missing to show 100%. Can you see what is incomplete? I went down the whole program, I beleive, without seeing something incomplete.)

Greg Boggs
                                Student
                                Topic Author

It was taken off the curriculum so as to not interfere with people’s completion rate, but it will be back eventually! Until then you can grab a copy of the spreadsheet from my Google drive link above

Kelly Clemmer
                              Student

This thread is awesome! Thanks for all the work being put into this!  I absolutely was planning to make a spreadsheet and now I don’t have to!

Greg Boggs
                                  Student
                                  Topic Author

You’re welcome! I definitely recommend making it your own and adding to it as your own herbal knowledge grows!

Robin Blair
                                  Student

Wow! This spreadsheet is amazing.  Thank you

Dawn
                                    Student

Thanks for putting in all of those hours and sharing the project with all of us!!! Great Stuff!

Greg Boggs
                                        Student
                                        Topic Author

You bet! Glad it can be a blessing to you!

This is VERY GOOD and VERY HELPFUL!  Thank YOU for Your Work and Your kindness in sharing!!

Greg Boggs
                                          Student
                                          Topic Author

You are most welcome! Glad you like it

Jodie Hummel
                                          Student

I’m glad I’m not the only one who does these things!  I have multiple spreadsheets as well…all of the herbs used in formulas, plus the formulas they’re in.  I’ll review yours and see if I have anything to add.  Thank you!

Greg Boggs
                                              Student
                                              Topic Author

I hope it can be a blessing to you!

Great spreadsheet! Just wondering what the S/U/N stand for under the safety for pregnancy/lactating section?

Greg Boggs
                                                Student
                                                Topic Author

Thanks Aubrey!
                                                  S – Safe, U – Unknown. N – Not Safe

Thank you for sharing your hard work!!! It is a wonderful blessing to have this info!!!

Greg Boggs
                                                  Student
                                                  Topic Author

You’re welcome! Glad you enjoy it!

You are on the top of my list, along with Dr. Jones.  It took a lot of work to do what you have done for all of use. Wow

Thank you!

Greg Boggs
                                                    Student
                                                    Topic Author

Oh thanks so much Lora! Glad it can be a blessing to you

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                                    Homestead Instructor

We’ve added a feature that is going to be really important in this project. Every herb has a dozen actions but that doesn’t mean that every herb is great at each of those actions. We’ve created a scale system where I can rank the herbs for each action. So for example comfrey and plantain are both vulneraries but comfrey is a really good one and plantain is a really weak one. The new system will have rankings on each action for each herb.

Now that the framework is put together, I just need to find some time to fill out the spreadsheet with those details.

Greg, this was a great idea. Evan (the IT nerd) has been putting tons of time into it to make a great new tool for the school. Good work Greg and thanks. :0)

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

4 users thanked author for this post.
                                                        Greg Boggs
                                                        Student
                                                        Topic Author

Thank you Doc! I’m glad the work can be a blessing

Greg Boggs
                                                        Student
                                                        Topic Author

Has anyone used the Anki app before? It is an app that you can create flashcards with. I am working on making a set of flashcards that has all the different terms and their definitions. Is that something anyone here would be interested in as well?

Kelly Clemmer
                                                            Student

I have not used that one.  I’m a teacher and I know there are tons of apps out there and that’s one of the top recommended.  I’m willing to try out whatever you mess around with.

Kelly Clemmer
                                                                Student

Actually I just played around with it for a couple minutes and it looks really usable.  Also there are already some herbal medicine flashcards on the app!

Greg Boggs
                                                                    Student
                                                                    Topic Author

Yeah there are some great resources on there! I’m working on a deck with the lingo and definitions taken from Doc’s “Learning the Lingo” lesson, so it will be specific to how we are taught here

Kelly Clemmer
                                                                  Student

As I study I’m trying to memorize the top couple herbal actions/uses for different herbs I study as well.  I’m looking forward to Doc’s rating system to help inform my studies on that!

Greg Boggs
                                                                      Student
                                                                      Topic Author

Yeah it will be great when that is released!

SUZANNE
                                                                      Student

Hello Greg,

Thank you for all your hard work. I have been coming up with lists myself as to the herbs actions so it would be easier for me to learn them. I really appreciate all the time and effort you have dedicated to this project and then sharing it with everyone. What a blessing you are and your project is! Now I am just trying to figure out how I can download the information onto my computer. ( I am not computer literate. :() I have never heard of the Anki app you mentioned. I only have a computer and not a cell phone-is the Anki app something for the cell phone?  I really don’t know what you are talking about, but I am interested in flash cards to help me learn about the herbs, etc.

Thank you again for your unselfish willingness to share with all of us!!

Greg Boggs
                                                                      Student
                                                                      Topic Author

I’ve also made printable flashcards for all of the herbal terminology in the spreadsheet. You can download it here if you’d like!
                                                                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n5z1By4p5CU0mB3TWenPwX4UEStawhLU/view?usp=sharing

WELL DONE, great chart….. i had been thinking of doing one and was contemplating the best approach. THANK YOU  that had to take a long time MUCH APPRECIATED

• #48095
                                                                          Greg Boggs
                                                                          Student
                                                                          Topic Author

Thank you Sydnia! It was a fun project and I’m glad I can share it here

• #48322

thanks for post

• #48324
                                                                            Greg Boggs
                                                                            Student
                                                                            Topic Author

You’re welcome Michael! I hope it serves you well

• #48470

Thanks, Greg, for all your hard work on this! I was about to make something like this myself, and here you already did it. Awesome!

• #48489
                                                                              Greg Boggs
                                                                              Student
                                                                              Topic Author

Thanks Rebecca! This is just meant to be a starting point as it’s only the herbs listed from the Learning the Lingo lesson. You can make a copy of it to your account and then add in all the stuff you want!

• #50921

I have been trying to make a format or similar spreadsheet to do what you accomplished.  It’s a  Lamborghini. I’m not going to try to reinvent it.  It’s as close to perfect as can be done. Thank you so very much.

• #50922
                                                                              Greg Boggs
                                                                              Student
                                                                              Topic Author

Thank you for the kind words! It was my pleasure to share it

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            Scroll to Top