Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Primitive Living & Survival Skills homesteading in Southern New Mexico

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by .
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      karen
      Student

things are always a bit complicated if you try to homestead in Southern New Mexico. So hubby and I must not have enough challenges. I am now 62, hubby is 67. we have been homesteading, and building a house,( an Earthship type like they have in Taos NM) Hubby is retired nurse, and I have done just about any job you can imagine From Bail investigator to teacher, we are both retired and i find solitude with plants and animals. I like so many others, find it comforting to know that God has given us all the herbs that we need for out bodies, I find it discouraging when they are misused. I think, if we sit back and do not continue to learn as we grow older, we will wither away. I am so thankful for this course and to Doc Jones for everything I have learned.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        Sue Magyari
        Student

Hi! It is nice to see I am not the only older person(Female-68) trying to homestead and learn herbalism! I am in a new situation on my daughter’s ranch in the foothills of Southern California. I started a 70 x 100 crop garden, have planted 30+ fruit trees this year and many herbs and flowers to try to enhance this very dry scrubby-looking area. I am in zone 9b . We do have a year round creek running through the property, but the soil is sandy gravel. I have help but sometimes it looks like I will never get anywhere. Other times I get excited at the smallest sprout in the garden! I want to grow my own herbs for medicine. I have to learn all the SW climate things because I grew up and lived in Michigan. Very different. I have to be patient in learning all this. Patience not my strong suit. While I am struggling to create some permaculture here, I am looking forward to taking Doc’s classes to learn ,in depth, about the different plant medicine. You are so right. Learning keeps us young!

3 users thanked author for this post.

check out Back to Eden gardening… i watched countless hours and then put into practice, at the time i was in a very dry area of southern california and the methods were like magic for growing anything

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Scroll to Top