Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Just a quick post to show a picture of how one can mitigate the effects of cold weather and wind. We can discuss this in more detail if there is interest shown.

Attached files

In our area, I would worry about the snow load collapsing the plastic. A walapini might work better, but we don’t have a south facing aspect on our property.

Although we don’t get nearly as much snow as you it was never a problem. Always seemed to just slide off. Of course that brings up the issue of maintenance! :sad puppy:

Our big issue is the wind. Took us a couple of years to figure out how to keep the plastic on. HINT: cinder block are heavier than 2 x 4’s.

Fey

A friend of mine has built one of these with a shade cloth covering, and people around here use the same principle to cover trees to keep out birds and fruit fly. (Not with plastic of course)

I reckon it’s a brilliant and cheap design and great for creating micro climates.

You poor guys with ALL THAT SNOW!!! :crying:

In my area, this would be great to start seedlings in winter for spring planting. I’ve never had a hot house….it would be something to consider.

IdahoHerbalist, what are the plants on the hillside behind your hoop house?

Granny.B
        Student

Read books written by Elliot Coleman. He has an excellent system for keeping the plastic on in wind. I know someone who follows his protocol and high bitter cold winds came and her winter crops were safe. If the bitter cold wind gets to the plants, the crops are very quickly destroyed.

Plus, his methods support growing commercial crops in the winters back east. He has learned how to keep harvests coming through winter.

One of the things Elliot has taught is that a hoop house moves your garden 500 miles South (unless you are in upside down land).

Fey

That sounds like it would be a good read Granny. There’s flower farms around here that have their hot houses demolished in some of our storms.

Oh Idaho…..there are people who believe that one day the world will flip….and then you’ll realise you’re on the best side of the planet at long last! :thumb: you’ll be chanting, Americy, Americy, Oi, Oi, Oi. (Now that will be an “exceptional” national chant) :Laugh:

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

I bought a cheap used green house this year with plans to set it over my Ashwagandha bed. I was too lazy to build a hoop house. Alas, it turned out I was also too lazy to put it on the bed before it all froze. It was a great idea….ah well, maybe next year.

Doc

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Steven, you need to poke some ginger and turmeric roots under that thing and see if they’ll survive the winter!

Doc

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Got any ginger left to try it with or where did you get yours? I only have ONE turmeric root so I am babying it. It was $7 for a small plant.

Maybe a double hoop would be something to try as well.

Since each layer “moves” the dirt 500 miles South, maybe 1000 miles would be enough? That would put that dirt somewhere Hermosillo, Mexico. I am thinking that is a HUGE stretch, but may still be enough.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

They have it at the grocery store. 🙂

SageWoman wrote: IdahoHerbalist, what are the plants on the hillside behind your hoop house?

I missed this earlier. We plant several things on that hill. There is an apricot tree. We also plant tomato, pepper, cucumber and other non row crop things.

Dawn
                  Student

I don’t know if you are still responding to replies here but I am interested in the directions for building a hoop house (new here 😉

Thx,

Dawn

I built a cattle panel greenhouse-like structure for my chicken run. I wanted more size and head room so I put one side up on some pallets. They are attached to the coop at one and and do an “L” at the other so they stay vertical. They are also sitting on a row of cinder blocks. This gives me about 7 feet of headroom in the middle and about a 10′ wide structure. If you just did a double layer of cinder blocks down each side you’d add 16″ to the headroom of the “standard” Edible Acres greenhouse.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Gardening’ is closed to new topics and replies.
                Scroll to Top