Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making How do you make garlic honey?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Student

How am i supposed to make garlic honey? Do i just plop some garlic in some honey and leave it for a few weeks?

Julie Owens
        Student

Hi Max,

Yes, that is the beginning process. There are a few additional steps to take it to completion.

Drop peeled garlic cloves into a glass jar. Cover cloves with raw local honey if it is available otherwise just use raw. The garlic cloves will rise to the top. Once a day tip the jar upside down to ensure all garlic get lathered in honey. Opening the jar will remove the gases that form from the fermenting process in the jar. The raw honey starts out thick and dense yet after time it will become very thin. For the first week, daily rotate the cloves and “burp” the gases from the jar. After a week you can start using the honey and garlic. the longer it sits the more it ages. I’ve left it for 2 months on my counter just to see what would happen. The garlic gets softer and the honey intensifies in garlic flavor.  You can use the garlic for consuming straight from the jar or in savory dishes. The infused honey is an incredible addition to vinegarette recipes or to tame a tickle in your throat. Hope that helps!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Julie Owens.
          Max
          Student
          Topic Author

thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.

These instructions are great!  I made and used the fermented garlic last year.  This and fire cider kept me healthy all winter long.  I started to really develop a taste for both.

I have 2 year old honey garlic I’m still using and it’s fine.  This is an awesome remedy for colds.

I made some garlic fermented honey in February 23 for the first time.  I had quite a mess with the gases and burping, but found a short cut.  I ordered some pickle pipes  and some weights from amazon to keep the garlic from floating , wow that really works great.  I put the bottles in the cupboard and didnt have to worry about it till they were done fermenting.  Then you can remove the weights and the pickle pipes and use a  plastic lid, you can reuse your pickle pipes and weights for some thing else.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Sharon
              Student

Oh boy Vicky – your post is a sanity saver!  And the fact that I’m so forgetful doesn’t help with my concerns over the whole burp and flip stuff.  So pickle pipes and weights to the rescue – looking forward to getting started!  How much do you usually make, how many people are using the cloves, and how long does the jar usually last?  Thanks again!

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Scroll to Top