Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs I’m discouraged and in pain.

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

I’m discouraged. I’ve been fighting VERY painful lips (for around 6 weeks, but it’s getting worse) that feel like they’ve been chemically burned (have used nothing that should do that – nothing at all from my normal lip balm and toothpaste). No matter what I use, nothing helps. They are so tight that they feel like they’ve shrunk – and the dentist makes this intolerable. Eating is miserable, and even yawning or smiling is awful. They crack, split, and get flaky hard places that are often sharp. I’ve read that it might be an infection, but I can’t seem to get on top of it. I have lots of great tinctures, but the alcohol stings like crazy, so that’s out. I don’t know whether an herbal tea (topically) or some essential oils would work better, and most things I’ve tried sting terribly. Aloe vera (the actual plant) is about the only relief so far, but try treating your lips with that – I’ve had to split the leaf and put it on my lips and tape over it all (using a piece of a baggie so the tape doesn’t touch my lips). Talk about looking and feeling stupid while I can’t eat, drink, or talk! I’m discouraged and getting desperate since we go on vacation in a week, and this is NOT the way I want to “enjoy” my first vacation in 15 years! ANY help is welcome, and the faster something can help with the symptoms, the better. Thanks all.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

I’d use a lotion. I’d put hops, marshmallow and Calendula in it. There’s a lotion lesson in the Medicine Making section.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Sharon
            Student
            Topic Author

Thanks Doc – would you use equal parts of the marshmallow, hops, and calendula?  I’ll have to go for the “speedier” method as we leave in just a few days.  If you think of anything else to add to your recommendations, just holler and I thank you!

Sharon
                Student
                Topic Author

Doc Jones – are these equal parts of hops, marshmallow and calendula for the lotion?  Lips are back to normal, but the dry skin is just awful in the winter of the desert here!

Dr. Patrick Jones
                    Homestead Instructor

Yup. I’d use equal parts.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Sharon
                        Student
                        Topic Author

Thanks – cuz the lips have gone insane again.  Ready to get rid of the problem that feels like a chemical burn.

Dawn
                  Student

Sharon, I’m so sorry for your condition. And I hope you don’t mind that I’m going to pray for your success and healing. I’ve been there with pain and discouragement treating my frozen shoulder. And I find myself there again while trying to help my dog who is suffering.  And I want to mention one herb that I was just reviewing, although Doc definitely knows infinitely more on what might quickly ease your condition(s), I read Spilanthes works on oral pain by reducing inflammation and pain perception but also has antifungal and antibacterial actions against some root canal pathogens  (like Enterococcus faecalisCandida albicans) and water-based extract was more effective at reducing the parasitemia (studying anti malaria action) so that might be a suggested preparation (water extraction).  You might try sipping an infusion to see how it feels and to get some benefit runing in your system.  (to cover all of these assertions here’s one citation of published research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827075/ mentions some steriod and collagen stimulation/action so you might feel a little benefit there too 🙂   It’s astringent so I believe it should not be used alone on cracking lips but I was thinking that the water you use to make the lotion Doc recommended could be infused with Spilanthes. If you have it, you might split the batch in half to try some with Spilanthes infusion and some without it … that way you can use the latter mentioned if the first is too astringent. I’m sharing it as I was just reading about it … timing seemed right 😉

Do not be discouraged; there is light at the end of this. Hugs and prayers for your success and healing.

5 users thanked author for this post.
                      Sharon
                      Student
                      Topic Author

Oh DawnB – why would I mind you praying for me!?  Thank you – there is power where 2 or more are gathered in prayer.  My Lord Jesus Christ is the ultimate healer and I believe He will heal this, but I also feel that I should be “doing something” as well!  Good thoughts you had there, and naturally, Spilanthes is one of the herbs I have none of.  I will see if I can get some and do something with it before we leave, but there’s only 5 days left, so I’m not holding out much hope on that for pre trip.

I meant to ask Doc if the ingredients were all equal parts in his lotion.  I will post that as a reply to him.  My prayers for your shoulder and your sweet pup.  Watching your fur baby suffer is just awful.  I lost both of mine 5 months apart and they both suffered far too long.  Hugs and thanks!

Sharon
                      Student
                      Topic Author

UPDATE many months later.  After all these months, I’ve had FOUR flare ups of this, and finally found a pretty decent doctor to give me a diagnosis.  She said it’s “Chelitis” (actually they misspelled it – it should be Cheilitis).  After researching it, it appears that it’s a fungal issue, so I think I’m going to make a special blend of tincture (for oral use), and probably modify Doc’s lotion to include lots of antifungal.  The possible causes (according to the all knowing web LOL) would be dry lips, excessive licking of lips, rapid weight loss that leaves the skin sagging around the mouth.  Others are possible, but those are the ones that I think are my triggers.  Since this is “hopefully the end of round 4”, I am planning to just start using antifungal daily as a preventative, and perhaps that same combination will help with hubby’s toenails (taken internally).  My plan is to use: oregano, basil, lemongrass, green tea extract, garlic, and either olive oil or olive leaf.  If anyone has a better combination in mind, I’m “all ears”!  Thanks – hope none of you ever get this, it’s pretty miserable.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                          Homestead Instructor

Sounds like a good plan Sharon.

This is a great example of the value of a diagnosis. Knowing which target to aim at is a huge factor in solving problems.

Sharon
                              Student
                              Topic Author

Great to see you back on the forum Doc!  Hope all is great now.  So after checking my herb pantry, I find that I don’t have Lemongrass as an herb, only as an essential oil – and I don’t know how to make this recipe work.  Do you have a better “super anti fungal” formula that might be good for what ails me?  It does help to finally know that it’s fungal vs the other options.  You would have thought she could have just answered that when I asked if it was fungal, bacterial, or viral though.  But thank goodness (still at this point anyway) for the internet!  I hope you have time to answer with a more potent antifungal.  AND can you please answer this also – for toenails, is it better to treat it orally (systemically) or topically?  I hear that topical generally doesn’t work, but prefer to get YOUR thoughts on it.  Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Scroll to Top