Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Case Studies Internal Hemorrhoids

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dee.MW
      Student

Working with a friend who has internal hemorrhoids, also he underwent surgery which worsened the condition.  I’m thinking 1) Yarrow tincture to control the bleeding 2) Astringent teas like blackberry, sage, rose 3) Hyssop and/or Horse Chestnut tinctures to strengthen venous tissue.  Topical treatments are “not applicable” in this case (sorry for that one).

Experiences? Feedback? Thoughts? Thank you!

2 users thanked author for this post.

That really sucks when surgery makes things worse. I have not had hemorrhoid’s for years, but if I had one again I would want some anti bacterial herbs, and a topical and internal pain relief healing herb like comfrey, marshmallow and a ton of aperients (pumpkin, flax, psyllium) to make sure I do not strain to defecate. No meat, cheese or breads.  No reading on the toilet, or looking at phone, focus on the task at hand and get off the pot. Roll a long towel into a doughnut shape so sitting in a chair is more comfortable.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Krista Bauer
          Student

I’ve heard good things about marshmallow root. Any experience as to the extent it “loosens things up” though? Would like to try this as a possible remedy for hemorrhoids as well, but don’t want to cause undue diarrhea or discomfort….

Dr. Patrick Jones
              Homestead Instructor

Marhmallow is wonderful, soothing stuff. It will loosen things a bit but shouldn’t be an issue

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Michelle Koch
            Student

Yarrow would be good because it is a vasoconstrictor, and hemorrhoids are just super swollen varicose veins in the bottom, really.  And are you sure a sitz bath wouldn’t help?  Or is it just not safe at this point in the healing process?  Some mallow root would be super nice and soothing to the swollen, tender, inflamed mucus membranes.  And it would make things slippery and easier to… you know.

Dee.MW
              Student
              Topic Author

Thank you all for the feedback.  Because the hemorrhoids are internal, classic sitz baths aren’t effective.  His main problem was quality of life with the bleeding… and I say was because the yarrow worked!  Aperiants and demulcents look like great additions to a healing process. ????

Dr. Patrick Jones
                Homestead Instructor

I’d skip the horse chestnut internally. It has pretty narrow safety margins. We talk about hemorrhoids in the Lower Digestive II lesson. Slides 57-59

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Dee.MW
                  Student
                  Topic Author

Yep – eliminated horse chestnut as an option after researching it can contribute to constipation.  Definitely not what’s needed.  Says he’s taking butcher’s broom though don’t know the history of how he came to that option.  Will be researching that, too.

Didn’t Doc say something about a suppository for something or other? Maybe a suppository would a good option in the case? Something with comfrey? Just guessing here

Dr. Patrick Jones
                      Homestead Instructor

I discuss the use of suppositories for hemorrhoids in the Lower Digestive lesson 2 as well.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Scroll to Top