• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by .
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

Hi all.  I have two gorgeous lilacs (deep purple and a pale yellow) in full bloom and was wondering if the flowers or leaves are medicinal – seems such a shame for those stunning flowers to just wither up and die on the bush.  Thanks 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
        Homestead Instructor

Lilac has some minor historical medicinal use but doesn’t do anything particularly well compared to other plants. Typically when a plant that is wildly common and well know doesn’t have extensive historical usage as a medicinal, it’s because people have been trying it for thousands and haven’t been that impressed. :0)

The flowers are edible but not tasty. The leaves are medicinal but not as useful or effective as other plants with similar applications.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Greg Boggs
          Student

Lilac grows everywhere around me, my wife and I have found that it looks really pretty in a vase on our kitchen table. The most healing properties it probably has is making things look nice, which can improve your mood, which can then improve your health!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Scroll to Top