Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Let’s start a trading/buying herb thread!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharon
      Student

I think we need a “trading post” type thread!  How about I kick it off with some organic clove powder (4 oz) unopened bag – got it by mistake.  Would like to trade for some grape leaf if possible, or perhaps goldenrod.  Would like to have organic.  Now let’s all see who needs what and let’s go trading!

Wendy Dyk
        Student

What a great idea Sharon! 👍

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Lisa Bateman
          Student

Great idea! I’ll see if I have either of what you want. I just purchased a bunch of bulk herbs.

Lisa Bateman

2 users thanked author for this post.
              Jenny Mixon
              Student

I also have a good bit of bulk herbs that I’d be willing to swap.  Let me know if you get this going or if I can help.

Kaye Reid
              Student

Sharon if you can send me an address by emailing me at kayereid1@hotmail.com I will see if I can send you some goldenrod. I take this almost daily for allergy/sinus type issues. It works well for me. We have it here in extreme abundance. I harvested from our pastures early last fall and dried it in my living room in shallow cardboard boxes with a fan blowing on it gently to circulated the air. Yes from spring until late fall my living room becomes over run with shallow boxes and wooden screen framed stands. Haha. So glad my husband is on board. I did give my personal email so you don’t have to post your address. Either way would be fine.

Kaye Reid

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Kaye Reid.
                Zavier Banman
                Student

Not sure if this helps but in March-April my moms grape plants will foliate and I could get you some grape leaf then. And if anyone has some chickweed that would be much appreciated.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Zavier Banman.
                  1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Dawn
                    Student

Zavier, I have chickweed growing in my raised beds and potted plants. I only use compost and vermicompost on my plants or a store bought organic for citrus trees. Do you want fresh chickweed or dried? If I sent fresh, it would be a day or two wilted, covered in paper towels, and shipped 2-3 day priority loosely packed in a small box.

Zavier Banman
                        Student

Thank you! That would be much appreciated, my address is 209 CR 225 Seminole Tx 79360. If there is anything you need let me know!

Dawn
                            Student

How much do you need? I just pulled a bulk of it to get ready for new planting … I need to make sure what is left is enough for you; also that it isn’t too far into flowering stage.  What might you have to trade? I buy a LOT of herbs and it is breaking my bank so trading would be sooo good. Even seeds would be wonderful to receive in exchange. If you prefer, you can email me at beachbabers4@gmail.com 🙂

Dan Flowers
                        Student

Sharon, that’s a great idea I’m in.  Winter here in Canada so not the best time for wildcrafting but spring is coming.

Kaye Reid
                          Student

This was a thought, has anyone asked if this is okay considering Doc Jones sells dried herbs in the shop. I don’t want to be for lack of better word unethical with my actions here at the school. I’m not prudish or anything like that. I offered to send some to a student in which I would but I’d also like to know how Doc feels about it since it is his school platform. Doc?

Kaye Reid

Sharon
                              Student
                              Topic Author

Kaye, I had already asked Doc about this in another thread, and his answer was “trade away”!  So he’s fine with it.  Jump in and let’s see what we can do here!

Kaye Reid
                                  Student

Thats wonderful. If you will send me your address I can send you some golden rod that I harvested last fall. I also have a lot of chamomile that I can send if you need it. I can look and see if I have extra elder leaf. Those were in massive abundance to me last year.

Kaye Reid

Sharon
                                      Student
                                      Topic Author

Kaye, thank you!  I will send you my address via email.  What would you like in exchange?  I think I only need about 4 ounces-ish of goldenrod.  I think my cloves are gone, but I do have lots of other goodies if you want to respond to my email and let me know what you’d like to trade for (or I can do money also).  🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
                                    Homestead Instructor

Yup. Seed and plant swapping among students is okee doke with me.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Cathy Olsen
                                    Student

That is a wonderful idea, Sharon.

Cathy Olsen

I have a mother Aloe Vera plant with about 60 babies. I wish I could trade for something, but I think there might be rules about shipping out of the area.

Rebecca
                                      Student

This is a great idea and I can’t wait for the summer months when I might be able to contribute! I’m in the early stages of building my herbal medicine cabinet and am trying to grow what I can in my two raised beds. If anyone is interested in the future for Perilla, my front raised bed is bound to have an army of it!

Susan Bryg
                                          Student

What is Perilla?  Does it have an ‘herbal name’ that I would recognize in one of Doc Jones’ formulas?

Rebecca
                                              Student

Sorry for the late response! It’s Perilla Frutescens, sometimes called Beefsteak Plant or Shiso. There’s a thread on the forum about it, but I haven’t come across it in the formulas yet.

Lynne Stanley
                                            Student

I think this is a great idea. I have nothing to trade right now, but I still love the concept.

Angie Mason
                                              Student

I am just starting and realizing that some seeds are hard to find.  Also, when I order seeds, they give you 100 or more.  How can I preserve the seeds for next season?

Store in an envelope, in a dry place.  They should keep for several years depending on what species they are.  Some seeds are viable practically forever.

Sharon
                                                  Student
                                                  Topic Author

Angie – many experts suggest a glass jar (airtight container) in the freezer – they say most will keep about 10 years that way (some not, but many will).

I’m in East Idaho and the moderator for the Idaho Herb Exchange.  Please feel to post offerings and requests there as well.

Dawn
                                                  Student

Hello Everyone, I am intersted in Trading seeds. What I have to trade is a bit of Calendula, Yarrow, Holy Basil – Tulsi, Oregano and Lemon Balm. What I am looking for is a long list but here are some: Blessed Thistle, Comfrey, Gumweed, Gravel root, Spikenard, Teasel, Passion Flower, Wood Betony ….    If you don’t see it hear, please post an inquiry as I have others that I would like to have and could possibly share; just ask 🙂   Thank you, in advance, D

Debbie French
                                                    Student

I have  organic Calendula Flowers. Does anyone have teasel or comfrey they would lie to trade? i recently purchased one little comfrey plant (only has 4 leaves on it)

Kaye Reid
                                                        Student

If you have one comfrey plant you can split the roots up next year and you will have 4,6,12? I started from seed last year. A couple of weeks ago I dug the largest one and split into 16 pots. All but 4 are showing life and most already have leaves.

That may not help a lot but if you are unable to obtain seeds on here they will multiply pretty quick. I also buy my seeds on Strictly Medicinal web site. I have had the best germination over all from their seeds.

Kaye Reid

Lisa Colmey
                                                        Student

Sounds like a great idea. Nothing to trade currently but will keep it in mind

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      Scroll to Top