Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Herbal Medicine Making Lotions for everyday use

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      A B
      Student

I want to make a lotion for everyday use. What would be some good herbs to incorporate in that? What is the shelf life for lotions? If refrigerated what is that shelf life? 

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Greg Boggs
        Student

I would say Lavender is a very popular herb used in lotions. and Calendula is very popular in salves but I’m not sure on how popular it is in lotions

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Cinda Seys
          Student

I like rose, maybe a citrus, vanilla…I like to have a few varieties and use one depending on the mood I’m in that morning 🙂

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

Depends what you want the lotion to do. The lotion is just the carrier.

There are a couple of good lotion recipes here:

Skin Formulas

Have a look at these for fun as well:

DIY Essential Lotion Experience Kit

Here’s the lotion making lesson if you need other lotion info:

Making Herbal Medicines Lesson 6: Infused Oils, Salves & Lotions

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Jeramy Fry
              Student

I make a shelf stable lotion (and no, I don’t add any preservatives!!) that has magnesium oil and herbs. If you’d like the recipe I can send it over? I use comfrey a LOT in my formulas, as well as ginger for arthritic pain. What do you want your lotion to do, other than moisturize?

Jeramy Fry

The shelf stable part has my attention! Would love to learn more.

Sharon
                  Student

Jeramy – would you please share your shelf stable lotion recipe with us?  This desert air we live in is REALLY hard on skin, especially old skin! Thanks.

Greg – what would you use if you don’t have access to beef tallow or choose not to use that?  Recipe please?  Thanks.

Greg Boggs
                      Student

You can buy beef tallow off Amazon, I’m not sure what you could substitute for it to stay shelf stable as it is

SUZANNE
                      Student

Hello Jeramy,

I am fairly new to the Homestead Academy and am going through some of the old posts on the student forum.

You mentioned that you make a shelf stable lotion with magnesium oil and I would love to have your recipe.

Today I made my first lotion. I enjoyed it!!!  Hopefully it will calm the eczema on my face down.

Thank you, Jeramy for your kindness.

Hi Suzanne,

My granddaughter had terrible eczema and I made a tallow/shea butter/beeswax lotion for her that really resolved it. Her mom is even making tallow soaps now to further take care of their skin. 🙂

Tallow seems to be very nourishing and helpful for skin issues.

This sounds amazing! I’d love the recipe. Thanks!

Greg Boggs
                      Student

My wife and I make a lotion/balm that is shelf stable and uses beef tallow, it is fantastic for skin issues

Greg, that sounds great! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

SUZANNE
                            Student

Yes, it sounds amazing, Greg. I would love to have the recipe, if you will share it! I have eczema all over my face and it is sooooo uncomfortable and hideous to look at. I have a lot of chickweed outside and wanted to use that to make a lotion for my face, but I wanted it to be shelf stable. 😀

Thank you, Greg!

Greg Boggs
                                Student

My wife Angela posted it just below!

Angela Boggs
                            Student

We make something similar to this recipe, but do a shorter steep time with the herbs.

https://www.milkandhoneyherbs.com/blog/2018/12/11/homemade-herbal-tallow-balm?format=amp

7 users thanked author for this post.
                              Becky Hatch
                              Student

I just found a recipe that I’m trying that includes 2 Calendula; 2 Chamomile; 2 Comfrey, 1 Ginger, 1 Lavender, 1 Rose Petals.  (Rosemary Gladstar)

i added Patchouli and eucalyptus essential oils because i enjoy the scents and benefits…. i also have one that has cayenne and comfrey- i use on my feet – seems to be helping with circulation in my foot as i had 7 surgeries in 3 years on it.  so excited to try more combinations- every lesson uncovers something additional I want to try

SUZANNE
                                Student

Can anyone tell me how to store the homemade lotion? Does it need to be refrigerated? Approximately how long will it be good?

Thank you!

Greg Boggs
                                    Student

If you used water in it, then you will need to refrigerate it

SUZANNE
                                        Student

Thank you for the reply, Greg! I made it with tea and lots of herbs, so it does have water in it. I just put it in the refrigerator. I have used it all

day on my face and it seems to be working. That is thrilling for me!!! I am so glad that I joined this site. It’s people like you that make it such a blessing!!

You might check out Doc’s lesson on Liver and Gallbladder, he discusses eczema and psoriasis in that lesson!

SUZANNE
                                              Student

Thank you Rebekah for the reply. Today is my 6th day of doing an herbal cleanse. It takes 7 weeks to complete and after that I plan on doing the leaky gut protocol. I eat clean already so at least I don’t have to change that. The lotion I made is amazing! It’s the save your skin formula, but I also added some fresh chickweed that I got from my yard. By the end of the first day my face was not itching anymore and the scaling of the skin calmed down. Yipeee!

Sounds like the lotion is a wonderful blessing. Are you doing leaky gut for you eczema?

Doc explained eczema and psoriasis are caused by a grumpy liver. He described it like “Your liver acts like union workers, they have a set amount of work they do and if you overload it with toxins they go on strike and send the toxins out through your skin which causes the rash.”

He has some formulas that he’s used to treat eczema.

I don’t mean to tell what to do with you disease, I just don’t want you to have to do an unnecessary step.

SUZANNE
                                                    Student

Yes, thank you. I am currently doing the 7 week cleanse and then will do the leaky gut cleanse. 😀

Sounds like plan. I look forward to making lotions too. I hope to be making a lot of self care products once I get to harvest this spring. Herbs are so fun!

Helen Pirtle
                                          Student

In Doc’s video in the lotion making lesson he uses 4 powdered herbs that came in the kit.  How many ounces/tablespoons is each individual herb being used in his demo?  I have not found that info in the products in the store.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        Scroll to Top