Forums HomeGrown Herbalist Student Forum Medicinal Herbs Lymphatic Support tincture is spicy!

• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by .
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

So I’m a wimp when it comes to spicy foods. I made a tincture with Doc’s Lymphatic Support powder and my first dose (mixed a teaspoon of tincture in a shot glass of water) was super spicy. I looked at the ingredients – just as I suspected: cayenne. The alcohol seemed to enhance the spiciness. Has anyone else experienced this?  I’m afraid I will have to take this one in capsule form. What a wimp! 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Greg Boggs
      Student

Heh well, the spiciness is actually part of the medicine and if you take it as a capsule, you’ll reduce its effectiveness. Because of the spiciness of the cayenne, it causes the body to actually absorb the rest of the herbs better because it kinda wakes the body up and says hey something is going on right now in your mouth and you better do something about it! So, if you put it in a capsule and bypass that, you miss out on some key functions that the cayenne is doing

A teaspoon of cayenne tincture is a lot!  Try a quarter teaspoon and gradually build up to the full teaspoon dose.  Also, you can use more water or tomato juice to dilute the taste. It helps me to think about something else while it’s going down.

I feel your pain! My husband and I are taking the heart support formula and it also has cayenne. The good news is that we’re getting used to it, so hopefully you will as well.

A teaspoon of cayenne tincture is a lot!

Thankfully, she isn’t taking straight cayenne. There are several herbs in the formula, and cayenne is the smallest part. But I agree that taking a smaller dose, especially at the beginning will help.

Laura Munson
        Student

You can always take it in more water. That’s what I would do.

Sharon
          Student

I found as I was trying to get used to using Cayenne in my tinctures, that putting it in orange or pineapple juice seemed to “cover” the zing better than just water, but I would just say experiment – maybe even milk?

I do like spicy but have found for most people that don’t like spicy mixing in honey really helps

Dr. Patrick Jones
            Homestead Instructor

If the cayenne is too much for you (it is for some), you can make the formula without it or with less of it. Cleavers is the big player there.

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Rebecca
              Student

I’m ok with spice, but the rest of my family is not, so we turned to honey! They coat their tongues with a small spoonful of honey and down most of the mix immediately after, leaving enough of the punch for them to taste it without running for water as the honey dissolves. Unfortunately, it is still masking the full effect of tasting the cayenne, but they are trying to build up to the full zing.

Dr. Patrick Jones
                  Homestead Instructor

That’s a good trick

Don't use herbs or combine herbs with medications or use them during lactation or pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider.

Viewing 9 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Scroll to Top